PS2 slim reset button pinout??

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Kyo
Re: PS2 slim reset button pinout??

Post by Kyo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 am

well it's definitely possible to have it be automatically pressed shortly when powering on the system, I'm just figuring out what the easiest way to do it would be. Maybe some combination of a NOT gate and a capacitor.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 pm

you know what, that might actually work. you would just need a circuit of some kind that senses the presence of the main power, waits like 1 or 2 seconds, and then closes a switch, which would be connected to the reset button. hell man if you or someone can figure out exactly how to accomplish this i'd say we have our solution

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:45 pm

I don't get why keeping the original board is such a hassle tbh.

It'll be harder to do and incorporate into a case to do it the way kyo's thinking.

Just mount the original reset board in your case with a tall tact switch sticking out. Done.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:53 pm

snowpenguin wrote:Just mount the original reset board in your case with a tall tact switch sticking out. Done.
thats what im doing with mine, i even took the official PlayStation button off a dead PS3 controller to use as the reset switch right in the middle of the mounted ps2 controller (you can see the hole i made for it in my build thread). but for Raizer04's, i think auto start is something he wants for his portable, to make it more convenient, or perhaps more unique, but regardless, i still think its interesting to research and try to find out how to do it

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 pm

AngelArm1110 wrote:you know what, that might actually work. you would just need a circuit of some kind that senses the presence of the main power, waits like 1 or 2 seconds, and then closes a switch, which would be connected to the reset button. hell man if you or someone can figure out exactly how to accomplish this i'd say we have our solution
Basically, as soon as the power is on, the capacitor starts charging up - the NOT circuit gets electricity instantly, but none from the capacitor at first so sends a signal to the reset switch - the capacitor then is fully charged fairly quick and the not switch gets a signal now, causing it to no longer send anything. In theory, it should work. You just have to figure out what kind of capacitor to use. Anyone with a playstation 2 willing to try this?

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 pm

i would, if i had a ps2 i was willing to sacrifice. so far on this project i have killed like 3 ps2s, and i'd really like this one to be "the one", if you know what i mean. but you wouldn't need a ps2 to test it on, you just need to use a multimeter to figure out how much electricity passes through the switch, take those values, construct the circuit, but instead of hooking it up to a ps2, just hook it up to an LED or something, and see if it can make the LED blink once when you connect the main power. stick a few diodes on the + and - to prevent any voltage spikes from damaging the board, and if everything adds up, then it should work fine

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 pm

I guess I'll experiment a bit tomorrow. I doubt you could kill your ps2 with this in any way. How does the switch work? Does it connect "something" to ground, or a voltage? if so, what voltage?

I do have some logic gates and LEDs lying around, I guess it's time to get out the good old breadboard

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Kyo wrote:I doubt you could kill your ps2 with this in any way.
your probably right, but im just really cautious these days. anyway i just tested, and its 3.5 volts

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm

haha, perfect for testing with an LED!

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 am

this is what i've worked out with a friend;

basically, when a capacitor is charging, it lets power through. as soon as it's full, it doesn't. when the console is turned off, the + and - of the capacitor is combined, and it decharges, when it's turned on, it briefly lets power through to the reset button, thus (hopefully enabling it) and then no more.

I used a 220 µF capacitor. Someone willing to try this?

Note that 3.3V will constantly flow into the reset pin if the console is turned off, so make sure it doesn't have ground when the console is turned off.

O-Bei-WANton

Post by O-Bei-WANton » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:02 am

looking at the ribbon connector on both slim and fat, from the board to the buttons, i've noticed the leftmost pins (connector pins on top) act as the reset/standby button. (hell yeah!) Okay, i'm not very stocked on electronics supplies, so of course i improvised, the result?

My reset/standby "button" (replacement) is now a current loop through one of those twist ties (the kind that come with bread.)

Also, due to it being a conductive loop, simply touching the wire acts as reset button, if you touch it too long it'll click into standby, so far i've been running this for 12 weeks with no problems, do it at your own risk tho. Following pins and wiretrails isn't a hard thing to do if you're patient. Maybe I'll have time to draw the pinouts in the next week or so but I don't bother with voltage measurements personally, so you're on your own there.

Probably not good for longevity. this should work for people who don't care about how long its going to last, or people who need to ghetto rig it. Eat your hearts out.

PS, sorry bout the late bump. this is the first thread i've seen even mention the pinouts but then again i'm lazy.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:15 pm

what can i say, i like to do things the hard way, lol