How did you get into portablization?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell
How did you get into portablization?

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:43 pm

I thought this would be a fun topic, so here goes...

a few years ago my great-uncle (kind of a grandpa to me, and doesn't know much about video games or technology) called and said that his neighbor was throwing away some game stuff, and wanted to know if we wanted it. My dad said yes and he came over about 10 minutes later. he brought a box that had a set of atari paddles, a few commons, a couple of NES games, and 3 complete NES systems, one of them in the box. One of them didn't work, so I looked for a place that had NES mobos for sale, and one of the results on google was Tighe's NESp site. Ben's old site was linked there, and I've been hooked ever since.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:47 pm

I've always loved messing with electronics and playing games, and while searching for nes schematics on google I came across nestable. From there I explored through the links section and found the mighty vcsp :)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 pm

Cant exactly remember what I was searching for but I found my way to Ben's old fourm (when it was the present one) and well that started my interst.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:23 pm

I just wrote about this in the other topic so I'll just copy and paste it here (btw, the EGM issue was actually the December issue, and the article was entitled, "Dr. Gamingstein"):
I'll always take care of this EGM issue, it's how I first found out about portablizing. actually I first read it when it came out, in november, I think, and later I was thinking how it would be cool to make an N64 portable....I tried but I had no idea what to do but then I remembered there was a site for portablizers in the EGM. after trashing my house to find it I found it and I transformed into.....A PORTABLIZER!!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:24 pm

I found an article about him in wired magizine. I thought it was super cool and I bought an atari to mess around with. Then one day I... Hacked it into a 4x4" square! I am now in the process (which is taking forever) of making a vcsp of my own design.

pjmk

Post by pjmk » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:27 pm

Well, for me, I used to always love looking at pirated systems, so one day (a few years ago) I thought it would be pretty cool to relook at them. That's when I noticed at portable famicon system. During this time I was also revisiting my old SNES games, and I thought "Hmm maybe there's a portable SNES or SFC out there somewhere. After doing many searches I came to a website with links to different pirated systems, and there it was... a link to a portable SNES. I quickly clicked the link. Now, my thought was that this was a SNESp that has been mass produce, but upon reading the article that followed I knew that this was a personal project. There was a link to his [old] site which I clicked. I read the SNESp story and quickly decided "Hey when I get old enough to get a job, all my money (or at least a good portion) would go into making one of these beuties"! Well, here it is a few years later and I just got a job...let the magic begin (finally)!!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:37 pm

Gamelver wrote:I just wrote about this in the other topic so I'll just copy and paste it here (btw, the EGM issue was actually the December issue, and the article was entitled, "Dr. Gamingstein"):
I'll always take care of this EGM issue, it's how I first found out about portablizing. actually I first read it when it came out, in november, I think, and later I was thinking how it would be cool to make an N64 portable....I tried but I had no idea what to do but then I remembered there was a site for portablizers in the EGM. after trashing my house to find it I found it and I transformed into.....A PORTABLIZER!!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
That's what reminded me to start this thread, actually
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

Cyberblade

Post by Cyberblade » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:41 pm

I found the PSp a few years ago through EmulationZone, at the time, being an idiot I though the dreamcast would be a cool portable. I never got anywhere with it, and it soon disapated. But just a bit ago, I got bored, took apart my SNES and thought a portable SNES would be awesome. So, now I'm actually doing it, rather then just thinking about it. XD

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:07 pm

Spongebuell wrote:
Gamelver wrote:I just wrote about this in the other topic so I'll just copy and paste it here (btw, the EGM issue was actually the December issue, and the article was entitled, "Dr. Gamingstein"):
Quote:

That's what reminded me to start this thread, actually
yeah, I figured that.......
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Nes Man

Post by Nes Man » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:32 pm

Well back when I was in 5th grade my family was moving, and at that time we only had had playstation, Atari 800 Computar and a 2600. We were about to move so my brother told my dad to throw away all the Atari stuff. (By this time the Playstation was broken). So I had no gaming console. One day I was over at a freinds house and we started talking about old tv shows. I brought up Mega Man and he said he had a Nes that had some Mega Man games that he wanted to sell for $20.00. (I had no idea what an Nes was). So I bought it along with 30 games. I was hooked. I got on the web and learned all I could about the Nes. Then I came across Tigh Klory's Nesp page. Then I found out about the portable 2600, that was 3 years ago.... I've come here ever since. :D (Because it seems as though Tigh droped off the face of the earth).... :shock:
Dude, it's Duck Hunt.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:37 pm

looks like a lot of people came for Tighe, and stayed for Ben
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

MajorLag

Post by MajorLag » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:18 pm

I can't honestly remember when I first found the VCSp, but that was my first foray into the world of protablizing. That was a long time ago, there were only VCSps... actually I'm pretty sure that there was only the original. Though I can't really say that I'm part of the portablizing "scene" as it were, scince I haven't produced anything yet, being a student takes too much time and money :(

Geebs61

Post by Geebs61 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:21 pm

I found Tighe's site while looking for NES schematics to help with making my NES emulator. I found Ben's site while going through Tighe's links, and soon after found out that NesDude on the old forums was actually a kid in my little sisters class. Small world. I actually finished my NES, but I never made a case for it and I found out yesterday that after I moved out my momthrew everything electronic I had into one box and now all my stuff is messed up.

I got into portablizing and crap almost 4 years ago.
"Being a teenager is to experience a renaissance of the body, mind and spirit. It is to experience life at it’s fullest." - Cliff Eiffler

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:34 pm

I was searching for info on the PSP and got Bens site and I've loved ataris for as long as I can remember.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:39 pm

Geebs61 wrote:I found Ben's site while going through Tighe's links, and soon after found out that NesDude on the old forums was actually a kid in my little sisters class.
It's one thing for that to happen, but how did you find out about that?
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel