Cloud Gaming

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
Cloud Gaming

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Have you guys seen this stuff? The games are run on remote servers, and then the audio, video, and keyboard control are streamed to the user. Onlive seems to be the big one.

http://www.onlive.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes me want to work on that N64 network I've been planning in my mind for so long :P.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Cloud Gaming

Post by bicostp » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 pm

It's been discussed before, and the general consensus is "bleh". There's lag on the input (latency between you and the server), then lag on the video encoder that makes the blocky video stream at the headend, then more network latency as the stream comes back to you. Plus, the games you "buy" through their service can be revoked at any time.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 am

I've tried Onlive, it was surprisingly good. It was fairly blocky, but my internet isn't the fastest (5mbps isn't bad, though, 1mbps would probably be horrible). What amazed me was that there didn't seem to be much lag with the controls. I was playing Dirt 2, so it might be more apparent with a FPS. Don't get me wrong, it would suck to actually have to play games on, but it isn't quite as bad as we thought.

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

i don't like the idea.. makes me cringe. i just love physical media to much.. and yes, i know things will eventually move to all digital downloads some day.. i even have quite a few games downloaded to my console..
but what if the server/service goes down? or you loose your connection? you wouldn't be able to play the games you've paid for.. total crap idea made for idiots
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Regardless of actual performance (which I'm sure is quite bad, especially on slower connections), I wouldn't trust something like this to my DSL line staying up and consistently speedy.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:20 am

It may be fixed but a while back when I tried playing UT3 it was absolutely unplayable. It's just too fast paced of a game to put up with any lag I think.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:07 am

I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't really like the concept. Plus if I'm going to play any recent game, I would want the best graphics quality possible, as many recent games have nothing else to offer. :lol:
hellfire wrote:i just love physical media to much.
Also this.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:50 pm

the dark side of p2p or subscription gaming. oh wait, nothing is as painful as World o Fricking warcraft.