LM386. Audio amp..or Radio Receiver?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
LM386. Audio amp..or Radio Receiver?

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 am

Yeah that's right!

I was just now fiddling around with an LM386 audio amp, just messing around with the hookups...Anyway, so as I was fiddling with it, I disconnected one of the audio wires (the sound in wire) as i was having some really bad sound issues with the thing (dunno why..it's all hoked up exactly as i've had it hooked up in the past). So I removed the wire, expecting silence, but to my surprise, I started hearing voices from the speaker!! SO I fiddled with it, trying to "tune in" the sound the best I could.

Turns out, I randomly tuned a radio show on the AM bandwidth (probably lower khz) using something that wasn't meant for radio tuning lol.

Tho it's hard to hear, I'm pretty sure I'm picking up a broadcast of a talk show called "coast to coast" (I can recognize the host's voice, as I've listened to this show a few times in the past). It's mostly static, but every so often, the sound becomes clear enough to make out the voices, and what they're talking about. It's some sort of political talk with somebody over the phone.

Funniest part is, it only picks up the radio station when the sound input is hooked into my PC, and only has one lead (the sound input lead, not the ground) hooked up!

So I've been sitting here fiddling with the leads, trying to see if I can tune it in better...I think I need to quick locate a variable cap..and maybe a coil or two.

Thought this was pretty neat..using the LM386 amp as a radio tuner...who'da thought?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Life of Brian

Re: LM386. Audio amp..or Radio Receiver?

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 am

Are you sure you're not hearing "ghost to ghost"?

That's really cool, though!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Miaw, my toaster used to do the same thing.

What length is the wire to your pc? I'd be much amused if you could tune in to the correct wavelenght (frequency) by changing the uncoiled length of wire.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

I love that radio program. What time of night were you doing this? I would personally be scared to death. :lol:

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:45 pm

right around 2:00 am. I made the post while I was still listening.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Coast to Coast AM talks about spiritual, supernatural, crytozoology, UFOlogy, paranormal, and stuff thats generally entertaining. And you found it with your conspiracy theory finding device you just "happened" to be making at that exact moment.....
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs