My Awesome Kindle Idea.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
My Awesome Kindle Idea.

Post by ValiantVenality » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Hey there. Sorry for two posts in two days, but I dont post often anyways, so I dont see much of a problem. Anyways here's an idea that I had. I think its been used in Canada before, but I have some questions about it too.

I absolutely hate lugging all my books around all the time from class to class. It's a nightmare. Sometimes, I'd only use the book for maybe 5 minutes of the class. Why even bother to bring the book? So heres my idea. Somehow convert all my textbooks into a digital format then put them on a Kindle, get a nice book case for it and VIOLA!

Much easier to carry around, able to see extremely well, could quite possibly get me into reading a little more, and go on Benheck whenever I choose! Sound like a good idea? It does to me. The only problem I have is how I would manage to get all my books in a digital form.

My dad owns a scanning company and he said he could scan most of my books in 5 minutes for each one. That could definitely be a solution, but he said I'd have to cut the pages out of the bindings and I would have to pay the school for the books back. Anyone have a solution for my dilemma? Whether its your own solution, or helping me figure out the whole cutting of the book binding. Anything would be great! Thanks!

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Re: My Awesome Kindle Idea.

Post by SonyPortableizer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Well first you put it into Microsoft word after converting it into words after using a program we have at school (I forget the name)
Then after you do that you have to export it into Kindle's software database.
After that you stop scamming people
Hope I could help

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:27 pm

There are actually some students at my University using E-textbooks on the kindle as part of a 'trial program'.

Having used both e-textbooks and traditional textbooks, I prefer the latter, despite the weight.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Agreed for some reason flipping the pages just feels "right". Its like game emulation almost.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 pm

I went to Macomb Community College's book store before their fall term. They had posters up advertising digital text books. They mentioned that most books are available. Sounded nice.

But really I do agree I hate carring books around. Namely books for computer classes, because you have the internet and well it only wastes time thumbing through a book when you could be keeping your eyes on the monitor. And besides the RedHat Certification book I have it over 600 page. Do I need that? No I have the internet and I can search through a PDF or google faster then I can searching a book.

I might be going back to the college again so I'll write down the site address and post it if anyone's interested.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:05 am

I guess you could simply photocopy the pages yourself and then give those to your dad.

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 pm

You could always try making one of these.