I want your knowledge

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Squidlekins
I want your knowledge

Post by Squidlekins » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 am

How do you people know all this janx about circuits and electronics and such? Other than experience (takes too long) and college courses (not for another semester or so) how do you get your knowledge? Are there websites that just have loads of well explained, easy to grasp information somewhere? Or did I miss out on the inherent and intimate knowledge of electronics gene that you all seem to have?
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14

Re: I want your knowledge

Post by Klaymator14 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:47 am

I am 14 and had no electronic experience whatsoever... I got all my information here, and the community is very friendly, and they will help you out when you need help. I already have most of the electronics done for my Dreamcast portable. Just look around! I know it will seem confusing at first like it did for me, just try learning basic schematics reading and stuff. Hope you figure it out!

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

collinE

Post by collinE » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 am

same. I'm 26 and learned everything here. I got ben's book which seemed to go over the basics of console modding and just started trying to do random stuff. As I had questions, I would just read through the threads for my answers or asked the question.

The practical application is where I learned the most. attempting, getting stuck, searching for solution, then discovering the answer. It's the best teacher.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm a youngun as well, 14, and I learned everything I know from trying things out that I found on instructables, as well as a little bit about batteries and screens and such from my n64p. Never taken a class on electroncis, but I'd say I know a fair bit about the subject and the kids at my school think the things I make are from the heavens.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Or did I miss out on the inherent and intimate knowledge of electronics gene that you all seem to have?
Yes, we are all incredibly awesome. Thank you for pointing that out.
Seriously, everything I know about electronics has come from this forum. It's a great community, and the people here are always ready to answer questions and help you along.
Are there websites that just have loads of well explained, easy to grasp information somewhere?
Yup, and you're there. :D
\

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:58 am

I got a big head start by reading Ben's book. I knew nothing about electronics before that. Since then, I've just been on the forums a lot and read Instructables and stuff pretty often. You eventually get to a point that you can either figure things out on your own or you know where to go to learn how something works, such as looking up a data sheet on a particular IC or something.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:06 pm

I was a dumb jock before I came to this site. Now I'm a sorta dumb jock ;)

But yeah, this site is has a myriad of information and you just have to take the time to check it out. If you love this kind of stuff then you don't really notice the hours that have gone by as you have read different tutorials. I haven't gotten Ben's book yet but I would recommend it for your first project since it is MUCH more difficult without the book to guide you. :mrgreen:
Image Image