Anybody good with bikes? Folding Bikes?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell
Anybody good with bikes? Folding Bikes?

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey all,

So, as many of you may know, I'll be studying abroad in Europe (Spain) this fall. I know bikes are incredibly popular and a great way to get around out there, so I figured I'd get a cheap one while I'm there. Then, I started to think: What about those little fold-up bikes they have? Not quite the reeeeally tiny ones with wheels from a baby stroller but something at least compact, like this.

Has anyone tried something like this before? I really think that this would be perfect: I can get used to it stateside easily, it shouldn't be *too* hard to have it be a checked bag on a plane if I get the right case, I could bring it inside the house when I'm home (less risk of it getting stolen) and, probably the biggest advantage, I can check it when I fly to other places in Europe and use it there. On the other hand, I think that this is the kind of thing that may not be the best riders, and I'm not great with bike's (other than riding without training wheels, shifting, and basic maintenance). Any thoughts on them?

Thanks!
SpongeBuell
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Re: Anybody good with bikes? Folding Bikes?

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:19 am

My grandfather had the second one you listed (not that one specifically) for when he want camping at parks. It's a pain to ride around if hills are involved, otherwise I'd say go for it but try to find a cheaper one locally.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Good point about the hills... was the issue that there were no other gears to choose from, or the placement of the pedals? If the former, I guess that's a good thing to look for.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Why not build one?

Get a small bike you like (like those stunt bikes that are essentially kiddie bikes with more leg room), cut it in half, and weld on some hinges on the inside, and a threaded collar to slip over the cut when you ride.

You'd be look at about 3 feet squared by a foot high at most when folded.
Hey, sup?

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Honestly, I don't think you'll be using it at all in Spain. Even though they don't use cars often (in the cities), most people walk. A lot of their culture is based on the street, and parties in the street, and hanging out until 3 or 4 in the morning. I had a teacher whos been there many times as a student, and he told us a lot of his experiences. He said that there is no "main meal" like in the US, and it's most lunch and dinner sporadically through the day. Like mentioned before, be ready to stay up really late, as it's a custom of their culture.

tldr;
I honestly don't think its necessary to have a bike, since the majority of the people will be walking around, and you just don't need it.

Tromoly4130

Post by Tromoly4130 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Folding bikes really aren't worth it unless you'll be riding a train or something like that. IMO you'd be better off with an inexpensive Fixie to ride around, they're much more comfortable and zippier than a folding bike, and depending on what components you use they can me super cheap (mine was under $500).

Although I must agree with ghostt, you probably will be walking lots more than biking, keep that in mind before settling on anything.
There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:55 am

I saw that first link and thought it was a scooter. The second one looked like a tricycle. :?

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:32 am

Get a Pennyfarthing!

Will you be back in time for MGC 10?

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:49 am

Cut a bike in half. Put hinges on it. Easy as pie!

Edit: Don't do this. You'll hurt yourself. If you do this, don't use door hinges.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:32 am

wallydawg wrote:Get a Pennyfarthing!

Will you be back in time for MGC 10?
Yup, back right around Christmas :D
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 am

Well, I found a local craigslist listing for a folder. The guy had two bikes, brand name models (http://www.dahon.com/intl/boardwalkd7.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)... for $75, or $125 for two of them :shock: . I sent an email a couple hours ago, we'll see if he gets back to me. He put them up about a week ago, but this is also a small town, even smaller in the summer (when school isn't in session) so I wouldn't be surprised if he still had both of 'em. edit: never mind, he didn't :(

Oh, and for those saying I won't need a bike out there, I think it depends on the city. Keep in mind, this is more than just a week-long vacation... I'll be out there for a few months, and will have to make trips to the same stores that the locals would, go to school each day, etc. I talked to a few people that have been to Seville, and they both said that Seville is pretty bike friendly. Some cities in Spain aren't so much (Madrid) but I won't be there as often.

Oh, and I heard about their eating/sleeping schedules out there. Sounds perfect for me :D
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel