Hook up gameboy to computer help

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

N Rage64
Hook up gameboy to computer help

Post by N Rage64 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:22 pm

Yea so i got an idea of hooking up my gameboy to my computer by using a usb cord that i have(already cut) and my gameboy advande cable is this possible?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Probably, but not simply by hooking it up.
Hey, sup?

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:32 pm

No, I dont think its possible. what use would it be anyway?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:13 pm

There is a way to hook the games up (for ROMS), but then you can just use roms.
Hey, sup?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:45 pm

I have a cable that plugs into the parallel port on the PC and the ext port on a Game Boy, but it has a microprocessor in it and it came with a bunch of drivers for Windows 95. I think it was by Mad Catz, designed to make your PC a Game Boy Printer.

No, you cannot just "hook up" your GBA to a USB port, unless you want to destroy something or write your own drivers.

My advice? Put your link cable back together, and "look before you leap" next time. (Ask first, then wreck stuff)

N Rage64

Post by N Rage64 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:25 pm

bicostp wrote:I have a cable that plugs into the parallel port on the PC and the ext port on a Game Boy, but it has a microprocessor in it and it came with a bunch of drivers for Windows 95. I think it was by Mad Catz, designed to make your PC a Game Boy Printer.

No, you cannot just "hook up" your GBA to a USB port, unless you want to destroy something or write your own drivers.

My advice? Put your link cable back together, and "look before you leap" next time. (Ask first, then wreck stuff)
No i didnt wreck it yet i just took a usb cable off because i found it downstairs hooked up to a fried palmpilot port. I wouldnt a copulate up the cord that quick

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:32 pm

If your talking about the link cable not much you can do

Its not a worth it and the end result will be nothing so dont bother

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:39 pm

bicostp wrote:My advice? Put your link cable back together, and "look before you leap" next time. (Ask first, then wreck stuff)
Oh this should be a new rule, remember the wireless router topic, or the USB mass storage to glop top topic?

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:01 pm

the timing of the gba ext port ranges from slow and standard, to fast and picky--sounds like a lot of work for USB, since you'd be scratchbuilding. but standard serial has been pretty much done, on the receiving end anyway, so there aren't too many barriers as far as using that. check this guy out:
http://www.msh-tools.com/GBA/gbagps.html
of course the rs232 transfer mode is thanks in part to custom software in the rom he made.

anyway, what do you want to do with this anyway? The memory used for 'download play' isn't all that large in gba, but I suppose it could be used to test small code designed for that use. or are you trying to go the other way and capture information from the gba on another device?

I used to think that the wireless accessories would provide the best link method between PC and GBA, but both standards completely failed.

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:24 am

I tried doing lots of stuff with gameboys back when I was a noob (a bigger noob than now). I didn't know about pinouts or the headphone plug so I took apart a GBA link cable to try and get audio out of that for my SP :lol:

The gameboy is simply put a micro processor board. But very simplified. a lot of instructions are missing so you can't do everything with it. It can run programs and you can even increase the clock frequency by overclocking it. If you would be smart enough you could do a lot with just a gameboy.