How much have you pirated?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

collinE
Re: How much have you pirated?

Post by collinE » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

minnieman wrote: is that collin?? HI COLLIN!!!

but ugh, this made me feel like a bad person :(
You never did post your amount. :wink:

Of course the numbers are exaggerated. I have movies and games that would have come from the bargain bin or that I would have bought used... or not gotten at all had I actually had to pay. I definitely wouldn't have paid money for that terrible Mega Man movie. yech!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat May 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Going to have to kneecap some people in here.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat May 22, 2010 11:39 pm

themadhacker wrote:I don't pirate.

I actually feel like trying to boost our economy a bit by buying my movies and music. And as for videogames, I usually just get older stuff anyway.

and no, I do not emulate.
+1 for this guy.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

minnieman

Post by minnieman » Sun May 23, 2010 7:42 am

collinE wrote:
minnieman wrote: is that collin?? HI COLLIN!!!

but ugh, this made me feel like a bad person :(
You never did post your amount. :wink:

Of course the numbers are exaggerated. I have movies and games that would have come from the bargain bin or that I would have bought used... or not gotten at all had I actually had to pay. I definitely wouldn't have paid money for that terrible Mega Man movie. yech!
your right... lets just say its above 300000.... and you make a good point.
every one of my trade offers comes with respect. just take that into consideration with my most likely appealing offer. :D

one day... my xbox 360 portable WILL HAPPEN!!
(to bad imma broke teen)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun May 23, 2010 9:26 am

I only download old TV shows that aren't available on DVD.

It's not worth bothering with downloading brand-new episodes from the current season, because they're usually up on Hulu or the network's website the day after they air. Clicker.com is like a TV Guide for legit streaming: search for whatever you want to watch, and if it's online it gives you a link.

There's no reason to download movies when there are three libraries within 10 miles to borrow from. How often are you going to watch Star.Wars.Return.Of.The.Jedi.[hAxX][LoL][5.1].avi?

Music? We already have plenty of CDs, tapes, and LPs, and high-bitrate DRM-free MP3s are cheap on Amazon. How many new Beatles albums can they possibly make? :P For one-off listening, there's always Grooveshark, Last.fm, and official YouTube channels.

DVDs of old seasons are relatively inexpensive, especially if you buy those $20 2-season value packs at Target. Most TV series go down to $20-$30 per season after a few months, and the video quality is higher than XviD encoded rips.

There are ways to get cheap media: buy used. The Salvation Army, Savers, Goodwill, pawn shops, etc all carry videos. My local Goodwill has tapes for a buck, CDs for $2, DVDs for $3, and most VHS movies are $1. They're cheap and they're fun to pick through because you never know what you're going to find. If that would stack up too much for you, Netflix is a $10/mo all-you-can-watch video buffet. :P

I'd like to see what the piracy and DVD sale figures are for shows that have their entire back catalog streaming on the official website for free, such as South Park.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 am

bicostp wrote:I only download old TV shows that aren't available on DVD.

It's not worth bothering with downloading brand-new episodes from the current season, because they're usually up on Hulu or the network's website the day after they air. Clicker.com is like a TV Guide for legit streaming: search for whatever you want to watch, and if it's online it gives you a link.

There's no reason to download movies when there are three libraries within 10 miles to borrow from. How often are you going to watch Star.Wars.Return.Of.The.Jedi.[hAxX][LoL][5.1].avi?

Music? We already have plenty of CDs, tapes, and LPs, and high-bitrate DRM-free MP3s are cheap on Amazon. How many new Beatles albums can they possibly make? :P For one-off listening, there's always Grooveshark, Last.fm, and official YouTube channels.

DVDs of old seasons are relatively inexpensive, especially if you buy those $20 2-season value packs at Target. Most TV series go down to $20-$30 per season after a few months, and the video quality is higher than XviD encoded rips.

There are ways to get cheap media: buy used. The Salvation Army, Savers, Goodwill, pawn shops, etc all carry videos. My local Goodwill has tapes for a buck, CDs for $2, DVDs for $3, and most VHS movies are $1. They're cheap and they're fun to pick through because you never know what you're going to find. If that would stack up too much for you, Netflix is a $10/mo all-you-can-watch video buffet. :P

I'd like to see what the piracy and DVD sale figures are for shows that have their entire back catalog streaming on the official website for free, such as South Park.
South Park is actually my worst collected series. It's all spotty and missing like the last 5 seasons because of south park studios and netflix. However Netflix just took all South Park off streaming so I'm probably going to move back to torrenting it.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 am

in my defense, other than my music 75% of the media i have "pirated" is anime, and more than half of that is stuff that is not available for legitimate purchase in the states yet, and some of it wont ever be. i but legit copies of my movies/music etc when i can afford to

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sun May 23, 2010 10:14 am

$319.56.

TBH, I had trouble actually figuring out what to put into this calculator.
  • I do pirate TV shows. Currently I have 720p encodes of seasons 1 and 2 of Chuck and seasons 6 and 7 of Mythbusters. This is mostly for convenience, as these are probably available from the broadcaster's respective sites. I also have cable, so I could go through the effort of recording these myself (I do have a firewire set-top box plugged into a computer for recording, it works pretty darn well and I can record at up to 1080i :D ). But it's just easier to download them. (if I forget to set a recording I might miss an episode of the season)
  • I buy all of my music on CDs (it's an automatic backup that way, therefore if my computer spontaneously dies, I can just pop the CDs back in and re-rip them). The only music "sharing" I do is with my brother, and even that doesn't account for much of my library.
  • I download high-quality 1080p encodes of my movies for convenience sake really. I do own the Blurays of 90% of my movie collection.
  • I don't pirate games. Why should I bother? Steam has ridiculous sales on games quite often for PC games, and I have a Play 'n Trade really close to me. (PnT == used game store)
So to sum it up:
  • I pirate TV shows.
  • I don't pirate music.
  • I don't pirate movies for the most part. (the ~10% of movies I have downloaded which I don't own I honestly do intend to buy)
  • I don't pirate games.
So really, I don't actually pirate that much stuff. And if somehow I couldn't download these TV shows, I could just record them off of TV myself.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 am

Another thing. Nothing in my house is HD besides my monitors at my PC. So its my only way to watch HD content. Since I lack a bluray drive I have to torrent my HD stuff.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun May 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm not justifying it or saying it's right, but I probably download way more movies and TV shows than the general population. I also probably purchase way more movies and TV shows than the general population. I do especially make an effort to purchase things that I feel are under-appreciated or are particularly awesome. I put off buying many movies and TV shows until I got my Blu-ray drive because I'm an HD-whore; I am now starting to amass a collection of stuff on Blu-ray, and have a very large list of BDs I will buy relatively soon. And I'll throw the typical excuse out there too; I'm 19 and in college: I have no money.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun May 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Bluray drives are actually a lot cheaper than I thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun May 23, 2010 6:32 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:Bluray drives are actually a lot cheaper than I thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep. Mine was $50 on Black Friday.
Rekarp wrote:

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun May 23, 2010 7:19 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:

I just don't want to adopt the hardware until they're full speed. Whats going to be the max out speed for blue-ray? Or do they know at this point?

lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun May 23, 2010 7:36 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:

I just don't want to adopt the hardware until they're full speed. Whats going to be the max out speed for blue-ray? Or do they know at this point?
From what I can gather, 12X looks to be the max. I don't particularly care about the speed though (I think mine's a 4X); all I'm doing with the drive is either playing or ripping my movies.
Rekarp wrote:

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun May 23, 2010 8:04 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:

From what I can gather, 12X looks to be the max. I don't particularly care about the speed though (I think mine's a 4X); all I'm doing with the drive is either playing or ripping my movies.
What do you use for your HD playback? I use VLC and sometimes it stutters, with my hardware that's just unacceptable.