Board game thread

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

legoboy
Location:some utterly insignificant little blue-green planet far out in the western arm of the galaxy
Re: Board game thread

Post by legoboy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:52 pm

And The Settlers of Catan will rule them all. Although Empire Builder is fun too.

Yeah, quality products are growing hard to find, for anything, not just board games. Face it the, US is a consumerism & throw-away based nation. No wonder we're in so much trouble.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeah, we kinda are that way...but when you think about it tho, it's not really our fault...it's the massive companies fault, as they're doing what's necessary to generate massive profits. Just think about it, if all the companies in the US made super ultra high quality products, then they wouldn't be able to sell as many cause the cheap stuff woudln't be breaking all the time.

They save monies on outsourcing (cheap labor), they save more monies still by making the products out of the cheapest materials, and they make more money still by continuing to charge the same (or equivalent based upon inflation) price for the quality stuff. Combo that with how often the cheap stuff breaks, forcing people to purchase more of the product, and you get massive profits. That's how it is with any super sized company. You still get quality from smaller companies (like the peeps who make Catan and stuff)....but alas, I'm pretty sure if those companies were to get as huge as hasbro or whatever, it's pretty certain that even they'll take the profit route.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:46 am

wallydawg wrote:Mouse Trap is still awesome though
Did anybody ever actually PLAY that game? For me it was usually two moves in and, "Screw this I'm building the thing!" and then setting it off. And then yelling at my brother when he broke a piece or something. I don't think I even know what the rules are...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Biased

Post by Biased » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
wallydawg wrote:Mouse Trap is still awesome though
Did anybody ever actually PLAY that game? For me it was usually two moves in and, "Screw this I'm building the thing!" and then setting it off. And then yelling at my brother when he broke a piece or something. I don't think I even know what the rules are...
The best way to play any board game is to make up your own rules, that way you feel that much better at it :lol:
My family was too poor to buy mouse trap IIRC lol

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:58 pm

The low quality of the games doesn't bother me that much (though I understand it perfectly)

What bothers me is the lack of good board games in stores like wal-mart. I mean do you ever see a new board game that isn't based on a TV show or something? We're stuck with Clue, Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble, etc. And it seems like there's never any new classic games (or new games that could become classics)

For instance, the settles of caanan. Heard lots of good stuff about that game but have never played it. How come you can't find that game in wal-mart?
My favorite board game is Age of Mythologies. I was suuuuper lucky to find it in Barnes and Nobles.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:00 pm

My cousin used to have this sweet game where you climbed up a mountain or something avoiding obstacles and such and every so often a battery operated buzzard flew around the board trying to knock you off the mountain. I dont remember much else about it except that I wanted it and m parents never got it for me since it was battery operated (i.e prolly too loud lol).

I did love Kerplunk though, which was a game inside a plastic cylinder where you had a row of thin plastic sticks and a handful of marbles on the top, and you pull out the sticks one by one hoping the marbles don't all fall down.

Zeromous

Post by Zeromous » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:26 am

wallydawg wrote:My cousin used to have this sweet game where you climbed up a mountain or something avoiding obstacles and such and every so often a battery operated buzzard flew around the board trying to knock you off the mountain. I dont remember much else about it except that I wanted it and m parents never got it for me since it was battery operated (i.e prolly too loud lol).

I did love Kerplunk though, which was a game inside a plastic cylinder where you had a row of thin plastic sticks and a handful of marbles on the top, and you pull out the sticks one by one hoping the marbles don't all fall down.
I think you may talking about the "Forbidden Bridge" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that because I use to play that game at Aunt's house all the time! :) Also I use to play "Don't Break the Ice!" Probably one my favorite childhood games. :D

However while I was browsing the internet I found this really cool board game http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats right a StarCraft board game? :lol: I guess we really did need additional pylons! :mrgreen:
It's not my fault reality is broken......It's yours!

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:43 pm

nightwheel wrote:
jones wrote:
wallydawg wrote:I find it blasphemous that Monopoly now uses debit cards.
Tell me this is some sort of sick, twisted joke. Is nothing sacred anymore?!?
I'm sorry to say it isn't a joke
Damn... guess this means there's no more stealing from the bank when no one's looking. :lol:

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:05 pm

nightwheel wrote:
jones wrote:
wallydawg wrote:I find it blasphemous that Monopoly now uses debit cards.
Tell me this is some sort of sick, twisted joke. Is nothing sacred anymore?!?
I'm sorry to say it isn't a joke
I actually saw this atrocity when I was wandering through the mall today. A little part of me died inside.

JimBobIII

Post by JimBobIII » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Ugh, I went on a family camping trip this summer, and we had my youngest brother's friend along as well, but since the lake was mostly a cloud of dead minnows we spent a lot of time playing cards and board games. Clue and Life were fun, we had no problems with them, but being 12-year-olds they seemed to find nothing wrong with Electronic Banking Monopoly, even though I had like 5 different paper-money sets we could've taken - over the last few years I've collected a few interesting limited edition sets.

DK

Post by DK » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 am

Angy Video Game Nerd has a great board game review show Linky

As a kid, the best board game was always chess but now it's probably killer bunnies and the quest for the magic carrot. Mainly due to the awesomee potential for drinking large amounts of shots :lol: