Mac os. vs. Windows the greates war ever faught!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:22 pm

I love hearing people say that they are safe on UNIX/Linux/Mac, because they are fooling themselves. True there isn't as many hackers or as much crap for those, as there is for Windows, but it still exists. Not everybody, but most people who think they are that secure don't use any protection software, which makes them just as vulnerable. Windows is fine as long as you know how to secure yourself. Besides, when you try talking people into using alternative operating systems, you're hurting yourself. The more people that use an operating system, the less secure that OS will become.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:05 pm

The thing is that Linux and most Unix systems have a builtin firewall, one that is even used on Linksys and other manufaturer's routers. On top of that as long as you have an accound for the admin that is not being touched by a virus/worm/ect. you havent anything to worry. With Unix any issue you have stays in that area, unless you have the admin password there is really very little you can do to mess up the system, so the most effective way to destroy a Unix install is to have physical access to it.

Now as for the whole thing of converting people over to alternitive OS. The more we get into the areas like BSD/Linux/Mac OS the better. Having people think is a good thing, its really hurt full for majority if the majority of people cant fix simple problems on their machines. Yeah you'll lose jobs but with more people using machines the right way and fixing problems like viruses, worms, spyware, adware and other things you get a smaller spread of them and it benfits all.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:36 pm

Mac OSX. nothin but it. Except for my gaming PC (it's an Alienware!).
hmmm...

"I'm awesome!"

yes, that will do.

Nebb

Post by Nebb » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:47 am

Longhorn!

(sucks)

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:32 pm

On my athlon 64 machine ive got the beta of XP64 and its alright, very fast but one small problem. It wont run Doom or Duke Nukem 3D!! it says that its a valid program but not designed for this operating enviroment, in other haha not 64 bit u suck go away :) but apart from that it good

When that runs out (pretty soon i think) im planning on putting the 64-bit version of Ubuntu to see what thats like

legoboy
Location:some utterly insignificant little blue-green planet far out in the western arm of the galaxy

Post by legoboy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:50 pm

APPLE DOS FOREVER!!! ROCK ON APPLE IIe!!! Okay, that was fun :D But seriously, OS X.

totokan

Post by totokan » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:51 pm

osx=good ;)