PSOne LCD Pinout

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

sonic-nkt

Post by sonic-nkt » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:14 pm

yes... :-/ have problems with my browser.. it didnt saved to stay logged in.
hope it works now :)

dust2dust

Svid Mod for pal lcd?

Post by dust2dust » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:34 am

Hi, I'm new here, although i have been reading these posts with interest and searching the internet for info on the possibilities for this screen for projection purposes, you can get a 50 inch screen projected.
My main path for connecting the lcd is through svideo.
Having read most if not all posts, i have been unable to find a clear guide on how to connect to svid.
I wish to go svid as this gives a better picture than composite.
I have read a lot of how to's and some of these are contradictory in their pin labelling.
I know that the pal lcd & the ntsc lcd are slightly different, but would'nt the wiring be the same?
I will probably go for the vga mod in the future, but for now i will be happy with svid.
Please help, am unsure that if i connect the wrong wires i might damage my screen, but looking at everyone's pics, it seems that the screens are pretty forgiving.
As long as you have the power connected correctly, i should not blow anything up? please advise, would be appreaciated.
Will post results and wiring diagrams etc, i.e. a full guide to connections, composite, svid and vga,(when done).
Also have heard of mods for red adjustment and others which i may try.
Am proficent at soldering , just dont want to destroy my screen by being stupid!
Thanks in advance,
D2D
That's what there saying about me now....
That i'm paranoid?

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:08 am

The ntsc lcd does not accept svideo input. I'm not sure if that's true for the pal one or not though.

dust2dust

Post by dust2dust » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, have went the only way i can so far, composite, even though there should be a way to connect svideo for the better quality image, (i think the composite picture is pretty good anyway, am able to run at 800/600 and still can just read onscreen text, not bad).
There is rgb inputs in a scart connector, do you think that if you were to wire the rgb outs from a scart lead to the rgb inputs on the lcd you would get results?
Will have to try this next.
As i have an nvidia gf4, the vga mod seems a non starter for me as i would loose some screen area due to lack of c sync, or something, is this true?
Would there be an easy circuit to convert svideo into component, (rgb) video? think i shall go in search of one now, will let you all know how i get on,
D2D
That's what there saying about me now....
That i'm paranoid?

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:15 pm

component isn't the same as rgb, although it is somewhat similar.
I know that the psone screen accepts rgb, and it converts the composite input into rgb for use by the lcd itself.

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:33 am

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I've been kinda busy :wink:

Anyway, good luck turning component to RGB. RGB is, of course, red, blue and green, while component is something like green, blue+red, and something else. It's confusing, and I don't know why they prefer it over RGB, but I think it has something to do with green being the most common color and therefore needing it's own line, while that "something else" is like some sort of sync, or something. In any case, RGB and component are not the same.

someone

Post by someone » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:41 pm

^component has a better picture than RGB i think....

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:28 pm

You got that backwards...

RGB has Red, Green, Blue and Sync. Sync controls the refresh rate of the image produced. This is the highest posible quality because ALL lines are separated (of course there's 2 more for audio L and R). This eliminates all possible crossover between the lines and therefor gives you a perfect picture.

Component on the other hand is only 3 lines plus the two audio. It mixes Sync with the Green line.

They are very hard to tell apart, but there is no question that RGB is better and always will be the best. The reason you may think component looks better is because HDTVs and DVDs with progressive scan use it now (here in the states). The picture isn't better than RGB but the resolution is. This is because your HDTV and/or DVD player is giving your picture more detail (or pixels if you will), not improving your actual picture.

-Segasonicfan

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:38 pm

let's just say this, RGB is an analog signal, and Component is a digital one ^_^

someone

Post by someone » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:41 pm

doesn't higher resolution make for a better experience??

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:59 pm

Of course, but high resolution isn't so easy on the wallet...

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:07 pm

So basically there is no simple way to get the PSone LCD to accept a component signal from (as an example) a gamecube or xbox component cable?

BreakyBoy

Post by BreakyBoy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Sorry about that last post under "Guest", forgot to log in.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:13 pm

now, when you say component do you mean composite, or do you truely mean component? If it's the latter than nope, psone screen wouldn't work with that.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:19 pm

if you mean composite (like the yellow plug when you plug in yellow, white and red plug using items on your TV) you can get by without modding, though you will need a cord found at radio shack for <$10 This is for those that want to hack this thing up. I'm still trying to imagine all of the possibilities with this for me. I want it to be a modded screen that works with my atari, C64, a second mini monitor for my computer, a screen that would go to a spare NES in my car, the possibilities are enless with these things :D

Edit: and I forgot to say, this really needs to be stickied. There is some great info, and many people use this screen.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.