PSOne LCD Pinout

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:31 pm

Yay! Its stickied! No more (hopefully! :wink: ) noobish questions!

D-Lite

Post by D-Lite » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Just thought I'd post a bit here on the topic of component video.

Component video is very close in quality to true RGB. But, none of the lines are truly the same as either R, G, or B. The red and blue are a mathematical difference from green, so they are actually calculated.

Component Red = Red - Green
Component Blue = Blue - Green
Component Green = Green + Sync

that's a very crude description, but points out that RGB red is not the same as component red. But since the colors are all separate on component, there is very little loss/crossing, hence the colors on component are much more vibrant than those of S-Video.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:07 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble, but its common knowedge that component and RBG arnt the same thing. Thanks for posting it though...

D-Lite

Post by D-Lite » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:17 pm

HK-47 wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but its common knowedge that component and RBG arnt the same thing. Thanks for posting it though...
Wow, didn't know I put up a bubble for bursting. Maybe you think I'm a noob or something and I need to be put in place?

Obviously we know they're not the same.
But I was posting more info on what component video is, which hasn't really been clarified around here as typified by the following post from merely a few posts up:
Super Mulletman wrote:Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I've been kinda busy :wink:

Anyway, good luck turning component to RGB. RGB is, of course, red, blue and green, while component is something like green, blue+red, and something else. It's confusing, and I don't know why they prefer it over RGB, but I think it has something to do with green being the most common color and therefore needing it's own line, while that "something else" is like some sort of sync, or something. In any case, RGB and component are not the same.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:20 pm

Ah I guess these forums are unorginized at best. Also, welcome to the forums. (My last post wasnt the friendliest of things I know...)

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:21 pm

Actually, although maybe not in this thread specificly, I wrote up (or actually copy and pasted :roll:) a fairly long explanation of how they are different.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Got it:
gannon wrote:GB contains the separate informations for the red, green, and blue component as separate channels. (The sync signal can be provided in different ways, but is not part of this short explanation.)
Each of the three channels R, G and B includes luminance. Viewing one channel separately, a black and white image is visible.

YPrPb (YUV) signals are matrixed components. The luminance Y signal is derived from the Red, Green, and Blue components by the formula 30% Red, 59% Green, and 11% Blue. The R-Y signal (Pr) is derived by subtracting this luminance signal from the Red signal. The resulting signal contains only color difference component for red.
The B-Y or Pb signal is derived by subtracting the Y signal from the blue signal to get the color component of blue. A G-Y component for green is not needed because all information is carried with the Y signal and the red and blue color component.

The reason to use YPrPb instead of RGB is the large amount of saved bandwidth. In the RGB signal the luminance component is carried three times. Typically, the color components are about half the bandwidth of the luminance component. Therefore about 4 Mhz of the necessary RGB bandwidth of about 12 Mhz can be saved.
The luminance image (Y) will usually be transmitted 25 or 30 times per second, while the two difference signals will alternate at half that rate.
In the receiving unit the signal is matrixed and the original information is available again.

Y is luminance, U and V are the color differences: U = R-Y, V = B-Y

Note, I didn't write all this, I just found a page in google and pasted the relevant info here.

StealthNinjaScyther

Post by StealthNinjaScyther » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:35 pm

Hello everyone.

Yeah, so I got one of these awesome screens recently. I'm going to use this for my Neo Geo MVS board which strangely doesn't work with my cab's monitor. I was able to get a picture on the lcd from my MVS board, but not my Buster Bros. pcb that works fine with my cab's monitor. Yeah, I have no idea what's up with that.

Well, actually the picture wasn't perfect, it was continuously scrolling... I assume that I just need to put put a capacitor on the sync wire, right? Oh, and about the wiring, I don't understand the little diagram you have up, I'm hooking up the wires from here:

http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/sonylcd.jpg

Could someone do a diagram from this portion to show where I would need to hook up to the speakers.

I think I'm finally going to have to build that supergun. :)

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:38 pm

That's the header board, so you just need the psone a/v jack pinout from http://gamesx.com/ Also, luma is used for sync.

D-Lite

Post by D-Lite » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:41 am

gannon wrote:Actually, although maybe not in this thread specificly, I wrote up (or actually copy and pasted :roll:) a fairly long explanation of how they are different.
Well, I'm new to this board so I just assumed since the conversation is 5 pages long now with no one giving any details about it that there hadn't been any discussion.
:roll:

About the PSOne screen itself and regarding the MVS compatibility, I've noticed that it slowly scrolls too. Specifically when I have 220 uF caps on the RGB, but not the sync. I'm not sure as I ran many tests and didn't record all the data, but it wasn't scrolling the whole time.

Another thing is the screen always appears washed out. I'm pretty sure it's not the MVS board RGB levels as usually it is too high and need to be attentuated.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:52 pm

Can anyone help.. I can't get any other consoles to work with the PSone screen.(Everything I'm using is PAL).
I've opened up the screen, and when I connect the composite video to the pin on the screen, the PS video works fine, but neither N64 or NGC produce any video.. no strange lines or anything. With the sound, PS works fine, again(as long as I've got that 5v going into pin 12), but N64 and NGC produce only static :(

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:53 pm

is the n64 getting enough power

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:54 pm

you probably need the 5 volts to pin 12, as many screens do.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 pm

maybe thats why mine doesnt work hm...

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 pm

also, are you connecting to the psone av jack or the mini jack?
The psone av jack doesn't support composite.