T.V. help

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

gannon
T.V. help

Post by gannon » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:15 pm

I finally got around to fixing the screen that wasted_druid gave me, but I can't get composite video working right on it. I got rf working fine, but composite would work a lot better.
Also, wasted_druid, could you tell me what model the t.v. is so I might be able to figure this out?

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:43 pm

hmmm... well, the jack that I thought was composite and audio in was actually a headphone jack that switched off the internal speaker when a plug was connected to it. Unfortunatley that means that I have to prod around inside the rf modulator to find the inputs I need.

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:59 am

Hey Gannon

I modded my handheld Tv to take composite and it only took RF from the ariel there wasnt a jack to put RF in.

But up need the LCd screen u will see a pin or wire Labeled Video this converts the RF to composite (why they didnt add a 50cent connector for composite i have no idea)

Just tap into this Video line and attach Ground to ground on the Tv board and u be set :)

But i warn u you might have to CUT the trace if its not a wire so the RF doesnt have a show shwoing up as the composite is in use.

But get composite working first :)

The way LCD's work is they use composite as there is no way for RF to work on a LCD or tv

thats why its stupid composite signal gets converted to rf then into the tv then converted to RGB but in the LCD case its composite.

so look for something labeled video :)

watch out for the transformer tho it might only use 4AA but damn that 30volts smarts :P

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:28 am

yeah, the t.v. I'm using is actually a 3V one. I was thinking of trying to find the composite area, but I'm just hoping that it won't be too hard to find.

And yeah, the jack was called an antenna jack, but I hooked it up to the cable in my room to get more channels :)

Edit:
I got composite working now, but it takes a while to kick in once I turn the tv on. I think this is because I didn't cut the rf lines yet.
Anyways, I got composite working by tapping into the video out put of a m51348fp chip.
http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/Mit ... Xtqqwt.pdf

Edit 2:
I figured out that the screen itself won't work unless the tv gets a signal from the antenna, so I had to build an internal antenna, and then lift the audio and video outputs of the m51348fp off of the board and then solder my inputs to the board. Next all I have to do is make an led backlight so I don't have to use the cathode tube and I'll be set to use this tv for something.