Decoder or input methods for a laptop screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Magiccowy
Decoder or input methods for a laptop screen

Post by Magiccowy » Thu May 06, 2010 8:43 pm

How can you connect a laptop screen to the output of a Ps2? It should be possible to decode the signals so that the monitor can show them but i have no idea how. is there something in the laptop that takes the signals from the MoBo and converts them that i could somehow hack? If i got a broken LCD monitor and got the plugs out of that and attached it to the laptop one internally wouold that work? Also can someeone please explain in more detail the way that benheck connected the LCD screens to his Ps3/Xbox360?

Thanks

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Decoder or input methods for a laptop screen

Post by hailrazer » Thu May 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Ben doesn't use laptop screens. He uses Lcd screens that have VGA or DVI/Hdmi inputs.

A laptop screen would need an expensive controller programmed for it , in order to have inputs that you could hook up the PS2 to.

Possible but not practical.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Magiccowy

Post by Magiccowy » Thu May 06, 2010 11:47 pm

thats cool i have a spare LCD.
how does the laptop control the screen then without inputs?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 am

Magiccowy wrote:thats cool i have a spare LCD.
As mentioned you need an Lcd with inputs. A laptop would control an Lcd with a Vga input.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:15 am

Magiccowy wrote:thats cool i have a spare LCD.
The integrated video chip (not reusable effectively) is made such that it can control a raw LCD screen. In other words, the LCD has inputs, just not inputs that can take anything besides a compatible laptop and specialty controller adapter($50 is lowest I've ever seen, and last I heard had disappeared from eBay, most easier to get ones are $200+).

Magiccowy

Post by Magiccowy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:26 pm

how does a computer control a screen? would it be possible to use a bit of broken LCD screen to make a laptop screen accept vga input

Magiccowy

Post by Magiccowy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:31 pm

would it be possible to run it THROUGH the laptop

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:11 am

Magiccowy wrote:would it be possible to run it THROUGH the laptop
With the laptop fully intact, you could use a video capture device to see the PS2 on the screen, though there may be some lag depending on what video capture device you use. You have to have a functioning laptop, though.
Magiccowy wrote: would it be possible to use a bit of broken LCD screen to make a laptop screen accept vga input
Probably not. It is possible if both the LCD panel in the broken desktop monitor match in specifications (timings, signals, etc.) then it can be done, but otherwise you'd end up with a messed up image.
Magiccowy wrote:how does a computer control a screen?
If you mean a laptop, this is a good primer: http://www.fpga4fun.com/GraphicLCDpanel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;