Noob question - powering PSone screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

excowboy
Noob question - powering PSone screen

Post by excowboy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:28 pm

I just want to test the screen I have but I don't have the original power cable. I tried using a multi-voltage adaptor at 6v and 9v (I know the screen is 7.5v) but the screen wouldn't power on?
Wonder if it's knackered as I bought it off ebay a couple of months ago and have only now got round to starting my build.
Do I just need to try it with a 7.5v adaptor? Thoughts?

On the plus side the duff NES I bought for five quid now works after disabling the lockout chip :)

excowboy

Re: Noob question - powering PSone screen

Post by excowboy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:00 am

K, I've tried a 7.5v and no dice so I guess I've got to get the guts out and see what might be up. Any suggestions? At all?! :)

excowboy

Post by excowboy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Bump...
Any suggestions?

excowboy

Post by excowboy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:58 am

Ok, so I've opened it up and tried wiring the power straight in (using the built in socket and powered through an AC adaptor). Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts - do you think the screen is dead? I'm getting pretty lonely in this thread :(

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:40 am

Does the screen power up then go blank ?

If so this will fix it :

If it has no power at all take out this fuse and bridge it with solder :
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

sam_thornley

Post by sam_thornley » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:45 am

Those fuses can blow from wrong polarity or sometimes overvoltage (rarely though). Be carefull not to short out the ground, as there is lots of grounding around the fuse area. Also make sure that you have a video source hooked up 8) . The screen can run on voltages from around 6.8-8v. Don't power it on anything higher than 8v, as there are parts of the screen that will fry if the voltage is too high.

I've blown PSone screen fuses on one of my projects before, shorted the fuses and it came back to life. :D

excowboy

Post by excowboy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:14 pm

K, thanks for these tips :)

I bridged the fuse as per Hail's suggestion and the screen worked! Sort of! As in, I plugged in power (with no video input attached) and I could see the screen boot up and go darker. Result!

Then, I tried powering it off of the battery I'm hoping to use (pretty much one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAMIYA-TRAXXAS-R- ... 2a05c4ce7d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and there was a brief sizzling and some smoke as the wire's attached to the screen pins magically desoldered themselves.

Now, assuming I didn't reverse the polarity *cough* is that because the battery is too powerful or cos my wiring was a bit weedy?

On the off chance I did screw the polarity, is the screen now toast?

Thanks!

sam_thornley

Post by sam_thornley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:37 pm

If you reverse the polarity while the fuses are shorted, the screen will fry. :( There are parts of the screen that run of 7.5v directly, the backlight and the AN2526NFH chip. Thats why there are fuses on there in the first place.

The battery that you're using is fine. I've used the same battery in 4 of my portables so far.

excowboy

Post by excowboy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks Sam, that's what I figured...

Will have to wait til saturday to try it out and see if there's any life in the old thing :?

Musturd

Post by Musturd » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:24 am

kbar accidentally hooked up our screen with reversed polarity.
So now it will not turn on.

I'm hoping bridging the fuses will fix the screen.

On this pictured which are the fuses?

Just the ones with the 'N's on them?
Just the leftmost one in the picture?
The three similar looking things (including the one without the 'N' on it)?

sam_thornley

Post by sam_thornley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:41 am

Correct,
The leftmost one in the picture. The ones with the 'N's on them. They are SMD type micro fuses. The one on the left is for the LCD controller, and the other one is for the backlight.

excowboy

Post by excowboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:07 am

Ok, it took me a while to find the time to do this but I rewired the the power to my screen, and taking care NOT to reverse the polarity it still seems to power on as before (i.e. can see that the screen goes black, like it's on) :)

So, I've then tried to connect a signal (direct from my NES) but that doesn't seem to be getting through. This is using a direct signal from the NES Video out to the 'EXT_V' pad on the back of the screen. No dice. I've connected the ground also with no joy.

Thoughts? Thanks!

kbar

Post by kbar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm

So I fixed the fuses, not thanks to musturd. So anyways, now how do we replace the fuses, and what kind of fuses should we buy?

Thanks

NesMario

Post by NesMario » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:36 am

Hi,

Hello what must I do with the two points that are displayed in this picture?
Attachments
0,1425,sz=1&i=91098,00.jpg
0,1425,sz=1&i=91098,00.jpg (49.71KiB)Viewed 9917 times

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Hifeno » Tue May 04, 2010 6:55 pm

bridge them with solder.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;