7" PSTwo LCD HACKED!!!!!!!!

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

segasonicfan
7" PSTwo LCD HACKED!!!!!!!!

Post by segasonicfan » Wed May 16, 2007 2:30 am

Hey peeps,
So I've seen these Pelican PSTwo screens for a while and was dying to buy one when they first game out. Well, I just had my chance since Gamestop dropped to the price of em down to $50 (everyone has apparently stopped carrying them). To give you an idea of what the original setup looks like check here:

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/70/80/56/55 ... 15X215.jpg

Now I know the Joy Tech screen is 10X better BUT this sucker has a SMALLER power draw than PSOne screens! Yes, that means <7W for a full 7inch backlit LCD AND supremely loud speakers. There was only one small problem..........

It's in S-Video :oops:

This would not do at all of course so I opened the sucker up immediately to check out the chroma encoder chip. To my fortune (or misfortune depending on how you see it) it had a IR3Y31M chroma encoder. These are super common in DVD player LCDs which is what this guy basically is. The chip DOES support RGB input and the mod is a living nightmare due to its smaller than SOIC package. But I decided I was going to get RGB out of this bastard or I would die trying...

three agonizing days later the project was a full success :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... Bapart.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... 1M_RGB.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... inSvid.jpg (ORIGINAL S-VIDEO)
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... 7inRGB.jpg (IN RGB)

I also installed a Dsub jack behind it so I can plug in any RGB signal :) I want to use this sucker as a Genny RGB and Arcade RGB test LCD. I also added a switch to go between S-Video and RGB in case something doesn't support it for some reason.

So in conclusion, this mod is very cool but I don't suggest trying it. It was hard as hell for me and I broke the LCD twice during the process and had to do repairs before continuing. I also do TONS of SMD work so only attempt this if you are handy with crazy small packages like TSSOP and have the proper tools. :?
Last edited by segasonicfan on Wed May 16, 2007 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Wed May 16, 2007 4:22 am

Whoa, that's one crazy hack job! I don't know how the hell you managed to do that, it looks impossible! Nice job :wink: The quality difference between S-Video and RGB is huge on that thing. Nice to see a bit of Metal Slug being played too :P

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 am

pencil tips, flux, and some patience will allow you to solder to that chip =)

i had to do the same thing on my lcd. not a biggie just had to take my time.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Wed May 16, 2007 4:07 pm

pencil tips, flux, and some patience will allow you to solder to that chip =)

i had to do the same thing on my lcd. not a biggie just had to take my time.
....and a lot of experience. I could not have done this mod a couple years ago myself because I was not experienced enough with SMD work. I actually broke a couple portable TVs with this encoder chip trying to do this mod. So please don't lead people on to believe this is a mod to attempt without any experience. You may be very skilled with SMD work but I think this would be an extremely difficult mod for 90% of the people on these forums, myself included.

Whoa, that's one crazy hack job! I don't know how the hell you managed to do that, it looks impossible! Nice job Wink The quality difference between S-Video and RGB is huge on that thing. Nice to see a bit of Metal Slug being played too
glad you liked the mod :) The quality difference between S-vid and RGB is pretty damn huge on any screen but yea it does make one helluva difference on this one :D

-Segasonicfan

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed May 16, 2007 4:41 pm

Wow! Impressive. The picture quality difference is HUGE. I doubt my soldering skills are up to doing that sort of thing though.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed May 16, 2007 10:24 pm

sweet curiosity, could you post the mod pinout?
or is that te sharp chip you previousl pinned out?

also, Does anyone know of a soldering iron with an extremely small tip? :D

Nice work hope to see more!
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 pm

Hey Krepticor,
It's almost identical to the last chip I posted the pinout of. This is simply a newer revision with a slightly difference pinout but the exact same function.

Pin 7: Connect Low (GND) for S-Video or Composite Input. Connect high (VCC) or leave floating for EXT RGB input
Pin 3: Composite video/Y/C sync input.
Pin 5: Chroma Input
Pin 36: Alternate input for C Sync (if pin 3 won't work). Pin 38 can work for this as well :P
Pin 39: B in
Pin 40: G in
Pin 41: R in

As for a small tip Iron, I use the WESD51 Weller Soldering Station. It's got digi heat control and is a MUST for serious modders IMO :) Will set you back $100-$150 but WELL worth the investment.

-Segaosonicfan

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sat May 19, 2007 9:57 pm

Here's a new pic of some extra work I did on the screen:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... modded.jpg

Now it has an S-video input jack and an audio input jack. Now I can hook up just about anything to the screen and I may add a composite jack later on. I also got my old Initial DVD player battery running (the same one Ben Heck used for his PS2P) so this sucker is now fully portable :)

-Segasonicfan