Audiovox EX50 5" lcd screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

ATOMICMAN
Audiovox EX50 5" lcd screen

Post by ATOMICMAN » Mon May 07, 2007 4:35 pm

boxed unit.

there are the guts.

these run off 7v dc without any issues.

they can be led moded (easily). the 5v voltage regulator is located on the left hand side board. work out your own setup but i believe 4x 3mm white leds would do just great on this thing.

you can input rgb easily (with a steady hand). the video encoder is the smaller of the two ics on the bottom board and should read (sharp IR3Y32M). the pinout for rgb is as follows:

pin 39: b video input
pin 40: g video input
pin 41: r video input

more info about the pinouts for the video encoder go here

http://www.lcdvision.com/download/inter ... R3Y31M.pdf

nubie

Post by nubie » Tue May 29, 2007 12:21 am

Interesting, I have the Audiovox D1500A player (they are pretty cheap), they seem to be identical.

If you aren't using the High Voltage backlight power score it with a utility blade and snap it off, just be sure to do it along the free area between the High and Low voltage sides. (hold it up to a bright light, you will see an area where the light shines through).

If you are using your own sound circuit, or making this one smaller, the same can be done, you will notice that I can free the contrast control, and the sound board is still fully functional, just solder the speakers directly from the source near the top headphone jack.

You can see that now there is a very nice and small setup, just plug in the new small power board and use it for your project, or your projector as the case may be, I have this one planned for a 50" projector :). The black thing above my thumb is an S-Video jack liberated from a DirecTivo, I look forward to the RGB inputs.

For full size pics, see here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/AudiovoxD1500A

On Topic:
if I solder RGB directly into that chip, will it just pick it up and display it? What happens to my S-Video jack? (I found out, see below)

If I use Powerstrip or a custom Nvidia resolution will I be able to connect this to VGA (RGB 480i) like the PSOne?

Edit: Pull pin 7 high for RGB, low for Video/S-Video I am assuming that this is already pulled low because of the S-Video input on my panel.

For S-Video/Video: Ground pin 5 for full composite to be accepted, connect to S-Video "C" if using S-Video input.

I wonder if I can hack the DVD player section to make RGB :), seems like the designers were making a competitor for the Squeezebox or the Leapfrog, one extra trace/wire for full RGB seems worth it to me.

nubie

Post by nubie » Tue May 29, 2007 12:57 am

Here is a nice shot of that Sharp chip (thanks again for the PDF :D), from an Audiovox D1500A.

Full Size Here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/Aud ... 2591676498

Edit: According to the PDF, this is what we are looking at, the RGB is already tied to ground to prevent signal degredation, so remove these surface mount chips to reveal some nice solder pads.

Pin 7 also has a clear shot, just remove that component and tie the line to a high, maybe one of the potentiometers at the bottom has a high signal.

Full size here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/Aud ... 4853485666

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue May 29, 2007 11:39 am

thats a bunch of good info and pics man! keep up the good work! how much do these lcds cost?

nubie

Post by nubie » Tue May 29, 2007 12:14 pm

Triton wrote:thats a bunch of good info and pics man! keep up the good work! how much do these lcds cost?
I am selling a D1500A DVD player (working!) right now for $39 buy-it-now, of course it will end in 2 1/2 hours and it starts at $35.

There are several of the EX50 screens on ebay right now too, but all have 4 or more days left and are starting at $0.01 or $0.98. Keep an eye out :).

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Tue May 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Check out my PS2 7" LCD hack in this forum, it uses the exact same chip and I know how to input the RGB. You definitely got the right idea from the PDF but you are missing out a few details:

Pin 7 just needs to be floating or tied to VCC for RGB input. So just lifting up the resistor should be fine. If not, lift the pin up.

The RGB lines need to go through .01uf caps before attatching to pins 39-41. This is very important and must be done.

That's all ya need to do :) $200 is a ripoff for this screen though...get the 7" PS2 one I used, it's $100 and 2" bigger of course ;) Also has terrific sound and uses less than 8W of power :O

-Segasonicfan

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:49 pm

segasonicfan wrote:Check out my PS2 7" LCD hack in this forum, it uses the exact same chip and I know how to input the RGB. You definitely got the right idea from the PDF but you are missing out a few details:

Pin 7 just needs to be floating or tied to VCC for RGB input. So just lifting up the resistor should be fine. If not, lift the pin up.

The RGB lines need to go through .01uf caps before attatching to pins 39-41. This is very important and must be done.

That's all ya need to do :) $200 is a ripoff for this screen though...get the 7" PS2 one I used, it's $100 and 2" bigger of course ;) Also has terrific sound and uses less than 8W of power :O

-Segasonicfan
good tips for the rgb input (cleans up the picture a lot) with the caps, i used some other value caps and the pic is much cleaner with the .01 uf ones. i just cut the trace on the vcc that way i can just bridge it with some solder if i ever need it later.

as for the price i got my screens for like 30 bucks each off ebay. good deal if you can do the soldering work.

instead of the pins of the encoder itself i just soldered right next the the small resistor (or maybe caps i cant really remember) less chance of burning up the chip.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Audiovox EX50 5" lcd screen

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 am

theres been a lot of mega bumps lately...its the soviets SMERSH trying to destroy England again :twisted: 007 should come by any time now
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Kainevg

Post by Kainevg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:16 pm

blaze3927 wrote:theres been a lot of mega bumps lately...its the soviets SMERSH trying to destroy England again :twisted: 007 should come by any time now
Same with pointless posts, dont you agree?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Isn't the real question ..... How does this compare color/picture/clarity wise to the Sony Psone screen ?
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:42 pm

I have one of these screens (let me know if anyone wants it, it's collecting dust)

The comb filter is slightly worse than the psone but the LCD panel is the same resolution. I've not tried it with anything other than composite.

Crisscrosscory1

Post by Crisscrosscory1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 am

I'm working on making a portable Nintendo GameCube but, the problem I am having is I do not know how to hook a Audiovox EX50 screen up to it. I was hoping someone here may see this and shed some light on the subject for me.