Funky Screen-Controller thingy

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:33 am

So with it having the 7805 it will be able to work with only a 7-7.5V right? Sounds like I'll be picking up a HipGear as soone as I can get the other stuff done. One last thing is the HipGear gets its power form batteries or the controller port? I'd just like to know if I have to make a change to the wiring before I dive head first.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Masterful Gamer

Post by Masterful Gamer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:01 pm

It has it's own power source. Why it doesn't just take it from the 5 volts boggles my mind.

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:34 pm

Who knows, but the 5V line on the controller port might not give enough power to run the screen. And that is only for consoles with a 5V line in the controller port.

Masterful Gamer

Post by Masterful Gamer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:27 pm

Well, i got a closer look, and i'm not totally sure that it's a 7805, but it sure looks similar. I drew a picture in paint.

http://www.freewebs.com/upl/chip.html

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:16 pm

Yeah, it's the right shape, but if you could test it with a multimeter to be sure that'd be a little better.

stereth

Post by stereth » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:17 pm

Looks like a TO-220 package, used for voltage regulators and dozens of other things. What letters are on the front?

I believe the 5V line in the Playstation and Playstation 2 is specd at around 100mA. That's why the PS controller with the fan built in has a USB plug - USB supplies up to 500mA. (Since Xbox controllers are USB, that version needs no extra power to run a fan.)[/url]

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:53 am

Os there any writing on the chip?
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:30 pm

I purcheshed the hip screen 2 days ago.
I ripped it open and well I looked for the chip you guys mentioned I couldnt find it. I'll look again as soon as I feel like taking half an hour to dismatle it (theres 8 screws to the controller and 8 on the screen).
When I find the chip I'll give you all the details.

Beyond that the thing works great, really high resolution, good sound and playing Armored Core is just a blast. If anyone is considering getting one, go to K B toys, I got mine there and it was going to be 31 but a servay question got it down to 25 something. Thats dirt cheap for the quality it shows.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

someone

Post by someone » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:28 am

gaaa... hip screen looks like the video quality isn't so hot...

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:47 am

you'd be suprised. When I play Armored core there are times that its tough to see things but its a 2.6" screen. Its resolution as I said is very high. The only real flaws I can find are the hing doesnt lock conpletely (flops a lil), the controller feels heavey, the d-pad isnt as sturdy as Sony's and the case around the screen gets very warm almost hot.

Again when I get a chance to take it apart and look for that chip/diode I'll tell you whats written on it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to find the draw and voltage are welcome I'd like to find out soon so I can portablize it.

I am a geek.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:56 pm

ok I took this beast apart.
I found the regulator and it has written on it: an image oh texas wit an "I" (probibly is texas instraments) 29AVTC9 UA7808C

Dont know how useful that is but there it is.

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:47 pm

That means that it uses a 7808, or a 8V regulator. Unfortunatley that means it wouldn't be all that good for a portable, unless of course you could replace it with a step-up converter. Then you might still be able to use 7.2V for it.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:07 pm

So using 7.2v batteries w/o a step up converter would mean the screen doesnt turn on. Because I was going to rip out things like (if I can) the analoge sticks and the rumble packs, dont know if that would help.

But honostly would .8 volts really mean the difference between a working screen and a blank one?

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:50 pm

Yeah, sometimes they can be pretty picky about the voltages. Also, the 7808 needs over 10V to function if I remember right.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Well I'm going to see if it runs off the battery, but first I'd have a question. I am looking at the display main board and it has two wires, anyone know how I can figure out what wire goes where or how to connect it to the PSOne?

Thanks for any info or help

I am a geek.