LED vs LCD Monitor

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Tralius
360 GamerTag:Tralius7
LED vs LCD Monitor

Post by Tralius » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 am

Hey all,

I've decided to make a portable Xbox 360 using a pretty big metal briefcase. I am planning on fitting a 20" monitor in the lid and can't decide between LED or LCD. I have 40mm depth to play with and the monitors from Samsung I have been looking at are 47mm for the LCD and 62mm for the LED. I would prefer using LED for the better picture quality and both monitors have external power supplies so I wont have to cut boards in half like in Bens guide on engadget, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what else is inside an LED monitor? Removing all the casing should bring down the size a bit but I would rather not risk running into something that cant be moved. I would also like to know if LED monitors need ventilation if the power supply is separate so it can it be completely sealed in the lid?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: LED vs LCD Monitor

Post by vskid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:43 am

I would be willing to bet that they are both LCDs. The LEDs they refer to are the backlight, LCDs have used CCFLs as backlights until recently. Unfortunately, most manufacturers make it sound like they're a whole new type of screen, instead of just a new backlight. LED backlights are more durable, longer lasting, and use less power.
OLED screens actually use many tiny LEDs to produce the image and are different than LCDs, but are also super expensive now.

Tralius
360 GamerTag:Tralius7

Re: LED vs LCD Monitor

Post by Tralius » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Ah yes, how silly of me. Don't know how I missed that.
I imagine LED backlights produce a lot less heat? Would sealing up the back of the monitor be a problem? I know in normal LCDs, the inverter cables cant be lengthened due to dimming. Would LEDs have brightness issues if the power cables were extened and all boards were moved to the bottom of the case?