Possible to design a YPbPr component or HDMI cable for GC?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Akagi
Possible to design a YPbPr component or HDMI cable for GC?

Post by Akagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:21 pm

So I'm looking to make a HDMI or component cable for the DOL-001 gamecube with the digital port. I came across a schematic for a digital audio circuit (found here) for the GC since their cable does video only.

What I'm shooting for is constructing the entire cable rather than buying a $60 - $70 component cable on eBay & adding on digital audio out. The GC seems to use some kind of 14-pin D-Terminal cable (pin config here) on the digital connection.

Anyone have any ideas on where to start with something like that? I'm thinking the hardest part would be trying to rig up a proper fitting connector since their 21 pin one seems to be proprietary.

Edit: Never mind. From what I read, an internal proprietary chip in the component cable is required in order to convert the video to a usable format and nobody bothered to reverse-engineer it. That's beyond my technical abilities, so I suppose it will stay that way.

killersquirel11
360 GamerTag:killersquirel11
Steam ID:killersquirel11

Re: Possible to design a YPbPr component or HDMI cable for GC?

Post by killersquirel11 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Three things I can think of:
1)Take apart gamecube and solder directly to the pads on the motherboard
2)Find a broken connector and use that
3)Try to find some other part that has that pads like that and try to use that (i.e. pci card)
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him

tom61

Re: Possible to design a YPbPr component or HDMI cable for GC?

Post by tom61 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:48 am

killersquirel11 wrote:Three things I can think of:
1)Take apart gamecube and solder directly to the pads on the motherboard
2)Find a broken connector and use that
3)Try to find some other part that has that pads like that and try to use that (i.e. pci card)
As the edit to Akagi's post said, that won't work in this case, as the digital port doesn't send out component or HDMI, but incompatible digital signals that are converted to component via a hard to get chip inside the cable.