That Xbox controller...

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

AerosolSP
That Xbox controller...

Post by AerosolSP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 am

I dunno if this is the best place to ask, but with Microsoft's open support of using the 360 pad on the PC, noone's around to talk about the original xbox pad anymore!

I want to try to make a gamepad for the original xbox. While the specific gamepad is not important, I'll tell you anyway. It's the Steel Battalion pad! I want to make one from scratch, and I'm gathering all the research I can to see if this is even feasible.

So, I need all the information possible on what a gamepad has to have for the original xbox to recognize it! Really, I'm most interested in that extra yellow cable, which I've been told is a V-sync cable. That makes little sense to me, and I'm curious as to what that's about. Then there's the LED's that light up, but that's something different entirely!

Any info is golden! Thanks.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: That Xbox controller...

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:19 am

I was under the impression that the 5th wire was only used for the infrared remote adapter thing, but I could be wrong.

With as many knobs and buttons as the Steel Battalion controller has, I'm sure there's some proprietary circuitry that sends the status of said inputs serially. In short, you'd probably need access to an original Steel Battalion controller to sniff out the protocol, then wire something up to imitate it. Not easy by any stretch.

AerosolSP

Post by AerosolSP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 am

You know what? I'm inclined to agree. The three pieces of the controller are infact connected a serial cable. If I get ahold of the Steel Battalion controller, that'd defeat the entire purpose of me building one!

My only other option it seems would be to talk to the guy that wrote the library for the Steel Battalion controller to work on the PC. He's hard to reach, though.

AerosolSP

Post by AerosolSP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 am

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to update some info.

I actually know precisely which bytes transmit what data and in what byte positions now! With that problem solved, it's back to the original one. What must a xbox controller have for the xbox to recognize it at all? I'm first going to try connecting a USB cable to the xbox, connecting it to my computer. I'm going to try to write an "emulator" of the Steel Battalion controller, sending the data stream I discovered (by inspecting the SteelBattalion.NET library here: http://steelbattalionnet.codeplex.com/) down the USB cable.