lyb's GCp (sorta) worklog

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Lyberty
lyb's GCp (sorta) worklog

Post by Lyberty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:30 am

ok so i'm starting to work on this project. I plan on building a gcp in two halves. But right now i'm only concentrating on the controller/screen halve.
Since it has composite input it is not exclusive to the gc, meaning that this halve can be used on a wii :awesome: (as for the controller)
I don't know yet if i'll use a wavebird or a corded controller, i'll decide when i look inside a wavebird.
And i don't really know if the usb part is a good idea, or even doable.

so here are some schematics of the final product :

front

back

stuff i intend to put in :

psone screen w/ rca plugs
+ its headphone jack and brightness and volume control buttons (forgot them on the pics)
stock gc controller (+rasped A/B/X/Y part)

batteries will go in the gc halve

so here i am so far :

this works :

but i need to get a new cube to continue, and i ordered platic to build the case. I may vacuum form it.

But to continue i need you guys' help, how do i set a pth8000WAZ to output 7.5V from 12V?

(diagrams were made in flash so was this : http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Last edited by Lyberty on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

argelfraster

Re: lyb's GCp (sorta) worklog

Post by argelfraster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 am

Why would you get a 12V battery and regulate it to 7.5V when you can get a 7.4V battery in the first place?

Lyberty

Post by Lyberty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 am

yeah i heard about that but i don't get how you can run the cube out of 7.5V, can you explain? Or do you have to do a custom regulator? Is that it?

The Smooth

Post by The Smooth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:34 pm

You can the cube off 7.4 volts but you need more amps.
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm not understanding why you want two ways to provide video out. Why not choose one over the other? It would be less work.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Lyberty

Post by Lyberty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 pm

So i managed to relocate my mem card slot, gonna do the same with the other slot ^^
so now i only have to build the case and prep the controller and i'm done.

I also need 7.5V batteries if anyone could point me in a direction (other than batteryspace, i know about that :wink: )

Pic :

Lyberty

Post by Lyberty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Update

¤ Relocated the disk drive using SS's finds on the subject, thanks so much to him :awesome: Even though it took me two times to try, meaning i destroyed a DD board

¤ Anyway no need to show you pics of the terrible soldering and hot gluing
Btw i'm kinda pissed at my wires for being so rigid, which other wires could i use?

¤ Made some mockups to scale for the mold i'll use for the case, i need your help on deciding which one...

1's screen placement feels a bit worse than 2's but 1's case is really making it all easyier

2's screen placement is the best but design is a bit too funky ::3: and plus the speakers would have to be on the back of the case, and making this project happen with this design would be really harder

So which will it be ? I personnally prefer 1, But it looks so big :? (everything to scale)

Lyberty

Post by Lyberty » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:51 am

alright so it has been a long time since i posted any uptade even though i worked on it nearly every weekend.

I had a really hard time making the mold for the rounded part, since it had to perfectly match the controller's size.
I got it quite right :

But the size wasn't exactly perfect, but i managed to arrange everything since abs cement allows to model plastic a bit. I used teeth and hot glue to get the right shape, secured with abs cement. It is now drying, when dry, i'll take the glue off (it's not proffessional glue so it snaps right off) and apply more coats of ABS cement.

left part

right part

I have already hacked my controller to make everything fit, still i'm having trouble with the screen mobo, i had underestimated its size...
This part will soon be done, i have to get some spray paint before i can close everything up, i have already started on a stencil though

I'm now looking for a name if any of you has an idea ...