My PS2P - Looking For A Case

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

corrosion
My PS2P - Looking For A Case

Post by corrosion » Thu May 13, 2010 6:03 am

Hi there,
I had an idea for my own version of a ps2 portable, but I'd like a little help with a case.

My idea is to get a large dvd player with composite inputs, I'm looking for something with a nice size screen and a very large body.
I would remove the drive of the player to replace with the ps2 and its guts. (I plan to use a slim)

I wanted to install internal wireless and internal memory cards (I have experience doing this on the fat, slim should be quite similar)
My question is where can I find such a large player. Batteries are quite expensive and I'm quickly realizing this is going to be an expensive project. Any ideas are welcome. please let me know what you think.

I'd like to keep the entire thing enclosed within the original dvd player case. I'm hoping its battery will be sufficient. If not I plan to install a second battery internally with a connector drilled into the back to charge the secondary battery.

As far as the electronics I should be just fine I'm fairly experienced and have taken a year long class in electronics.

EDIT

What do you think of using an xbox case (original) That would be tons of room.
Only problem is figuring out how to remove and insert discs (seeing as I'd be using a slim ps2 for the project)

Maybe I should use a fat?
My Ps2
http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... 20Project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Internal Mods:
FMCB
Wireless Controller
Memory Card

corrosion

Re: My PS2P - Looking For A Case

Post by corrosion » Thu May 13, 2010 8:30 pm

thanks for the input. And I'll check out that site.

I know the xbox case if big. But I'm horrible with cases and I'd like to make it able to be two players.
I do have a slim 7xxxx and know all about fmcb. I would like to use a hdd though which is why I thought of using a fat.
I'll see if the hdd mod works with the model slim I have, a 70001.

About the batteries you mentioned. This thing need 5.3A so wouldn't I need at least a 5300mAh battery?

EDIT

I have a Dynavolt 12v 2.3Ah battery. If I get two more and wire them in paralell I'll get
12V 6.9Ah With a regulator to get that to 8.5V 6.9Ah it should work great.

What do you think?
Its a sealed lead acid battery
My Ps2
http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... 20Project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Internal Mods:
FMCB
Wireless Controller
Memory Card

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 pm

EWWWW SLA

Don't use sla. EW>

Slim doesn't really draw 5.3a, that's just what the power adapter gives. Actually draws quite a bit less. You DON'T need at least 5300 mAh to power 5.3a, just get some higher output rate cells. 1c will give as many amps as it has Ah. 2C twice as many amps. etc.

You'll want quite a bit of battery power to back you up, if you're going for a monstrous case go for some megasize lipos. PS2 slim draws 7.5 or 8v or 8.5 or something, so you'll need 11.1v batteries if going lithium. Lithium is really the only way you want to go these days.

And if we're going to advertise websites here, Modretro will give you much faster results considering we have a lot more members than the website raizer linked.

Your avatar is huge.

corrosion

Post by corrosion » Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 am

Thanks for the info
I'll change avatar soon

and Would by chance a 12v 2.3Ah battery work? perhaps not for long but would it work?

edit

What do you think about using NIMH C batteries?
Wired in series with 6 of em I'd get 5Ah and 9V Perfect?
My Ps2

Internal Mods:
FMCB
Wireless Controller
Memory Card

corrosion

Post by corrosion » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 pm

corrosion wrote: What do you think about using NIMH C batteries?
My Ps2

Internal Mods:
FMCB
Wireless Controller
Memory Card

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

corrosion wrote: What do you think about using NIMH C batteries?
It all depends on what your needs are. If a decent price and decent capacity for the size are what you want, then NiMH C or sub-C batteries would be a good pick. SLA batteries are cheap, but huge. Lithium are small, but expensive (though they've gotten cheaper in the last few years). Go for lithium if you can afford it and/or need more battery life in the same size. NiMH will get the job done if you can't afford lithium.

corrosion

Post by corrosion » Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks man,

We'll assuming I'd go the xbox case route I may just sla because I'll have all that extra room anyway.
My Ps2

Internal Mods:
FMCB
Wireless Controller
Memory Card