PS2 slim reset button pinout??

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

AngelArm1110
PS2 slim reset button pinout??

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm

hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone knew of a pinout for the ps2 slim's little dangling appendage thats used as a reset button. im sure anyone who has ever opened a slim has noticed that little pcb just flopping around, and if we knew the pinout of it we could easily remove it, yet still maintain all of its functions, such as reset, and disc lid open/close, and so on.

if anyone knows of any obscure sites that might have that information, it would be a big help in the making of any PS2p

thanks!!!

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: PS2 slim reset button pinout??

Post by Hifeno » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:53 pm

I need this too.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:14 pm

i tried to test mine but the probes on my multimeter arent pointed enough. :|
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:26 pm

why dont you just tape some sewing needles to the probes. increase the accuracy a bit. just dont poke yourself, lol

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:30 pm

AngelArm1110 wrote:why dont you just tape some sewing needles to the probes. increase the accuracy a bit. just dont poke yourself, lol
not a bad idea, but i dont have any needles. lemme grab my exacto knife and see what i can do. :P
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Hifeno » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Same thing needed here anyone have any clue.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 am

i've done some research on the reset switch thing, and what i found was this; the ps2 has basically two operating modes, On, green light, and standby, red light. the reset button is used to switch between these two modes. as we all (should) know, pressing the reset button when the ps2 is in standby mode will switch it to On, and pressing it again while the ps2 is on will reset the system. however by pressing and holding the reset switch for a few seconds while the system is On, will put it back into standby mode. apparently the reason behind all this, is that if the ps2 has its source of power interrupted too many times, it will cause the system to malfunction. in other words, putting a ps2 into a battery operated portable with an on/off switch is harmful to the system. i would seriously dispute this idea though, because i used to operate my old ps2 slim, and my tv on a power strip. when i wasnt playing a game or watching a movie, i would keep the strip turned off, and in the 3 years i used this method, i never saw a problem.

but to sum this all up, the ps2 was specifically designed to work on a dual mode basis; On/standby, and because of this, there is no way to remove the need for a reset switch, without effectively redesigning the way the whole system operates.

these are just my findings though, and i hope they can eventually be proven wrong, but for now, it looks like the reset switch is here to stay.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:42 pm

im sorry :shock: i didnt mean to

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Wherever you read that is probably wrong.

Seriously.

There have been PS2 portables before.

And the power strip thing.

It'll most likely be just fine.

Lol.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 pm

i see what you mean by that, i mean i was looking at Brian Gardiner's Palm PS2, and unless he has it hidden somewhere, i didnt see a reset switch: http://www.palmps2.com/palmps2/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; maybe hes the person to ask, he seems to have ps2 portablizing down to a science, lol

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I don't think you're going to just bypass the reset switch and replace it with a power switch like you think.

I think you might be able to replace the reset board with something a bit easier, and then have a power switch on the main power system. I seriously doubt you'll be able to make it so the ps2 turns on without the switch.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 am

Not having ever owned a ps2 can someone explain to me how exactly this works? Like, the console is connected to the power. what do you need to do to turn it on now? Press a button, and that's it?

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:14 am

thats right

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:16 am

and I presume the button can't constantly be pressed :lol:

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 am

no, it doesn't work that way