Wii laptop Should I?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Bass Creator
Wii laptop Should I?

Post by Bass Creator » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:58 am

well as somone who hasnt soldered much or ever made a porble before i wanna make a wii laptop I gots some questions thoe

1.Wonders if i can still play my wii on my tv
2. is it ok if iam useling mabe a 15 inch lcd (i think its for a laptop
3. Should i do this
id be starting in july Because i
Alrety have a wii But iam not taking it apart So ill get a used one in july (they should cost much used then) So Anything i should know

Or what my first porble should be?

lol iam not useing a 7 inch screen

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:13 pm

You first portable should be somethign much simpler. Go with either a NOACp or a PS1p. Get ben's book as well.

Also, you can still have video out, but you need to wire it that way.

Bass Creator

Post by Bass Creator » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:17 pm

lol guess ill go ps1p
*but i thoght my psp can play ps1 games useing a emulater so why do i need a ps1p* mind be queit i must make one so then i can make a wii laptop *but what are you gonna use as a screen * mind Be queit ill use somthing that use's rgb or somin * ok*

ps the wii laptop the only one he gave good intertions to

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm

You don't have to have any experience necessarily to make a laptop, but I wouldn't recommend using a laptop screen unless you know 100% how to use it, because they're purely digital and you need the right signal and connection for it. Not for novice... Experience only helps make things smoother, and makes you less likely to copulate up your Wii... Ben's book isn't likely to help out with this since it doesn't cover Wii, and I'm not really too sure if it covers building laptops either, so you might want to keep an eye on his Wii laptop WIP.
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

bgnome

Post by bgnome » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm

_____ _______ wrote:lol guess ill go ps1p
*but i thoght my psp can play ps1 games useing a emulater so why do i need a ps1p* mind be queit i must make one so then i can make a wii laptop *but what are you gonna use as a screen * mind Be queit ill use somthing that use's rgb or somin * ok*

ps the wii laptop the only one he gave good intertions to
the wii laptop is definitely not a novice project. you do not need to make anything else if you do not want to, but it seems like you are off on the wrong foot. you need to do some serious research as well, which is why it is recommended to look at the book.

i do not believe that even "used" prices on the wii would be reasonable by this summer. the xbox 360 has been out over a year, and i haven't seen decent used prices on them. another thing to consider is that we are uncertain whether or not the NTSC wii can output a rgb signal. we know the PAL wii can. so you will need a screen that accepts a known video input such as composite, svideo, or possibly component. 15" LCDs with these types of inputs are most likely tv monitors, which searches seem to indicate run around $200 or more.

personally i have a 15" LCD that seems to work with a 15khz RGBHV input, (using my gamecube with vga-hacked cable), which i intend on using in a future project. however, until a suitable RGB hack on the wii is found, you definitely need to reconsider your options.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm

I ment use ben's book for the ps1p. Yeah, you need experience. Use the official PSone screen as it is good, and is made for the psone.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Well, the wii laptop seems rather simple, actually... (besides the hinges in the case, that'd be a doozy)
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:07 pm

A Wii handheld, on the other hand ;)....
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:31 am

Well next week I should be giving away a Wii in a competition.. It should arrive on Monday so I'll be starting it once this current competition is over with. It's PAL, but will go worldwide.
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

PenguinMaster

Post by PenguinMaster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Gamelver wrote:A Wii handheld, on the other hand ;)....
I don't see how you could use the Wiimote while also having a Wii handheld.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:20 pm

PenguinMaster wrote:
Gamelver wrote:A Wii handheld, on the other hand ;)....
I don't see how you could use the Wiimote while also having a Wii handheld.
You could play virtual console games handheld. However, most I see talking about portable Wiis are intending to build a laptop that needs to be set down to play.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:46 pm

A handheld Wii would be ideal for the virtual console playback. A stand would be used when Wii games are meant to be played :) (pull out wii controllers integrated with the gamecube boards would be awesome :D).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Gamelver wrote:A handheld Wii would be ideal for the virtual console playback.
And gamecube games. And select wii games (SSBB, Metal Slug, some others.)
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:03 pm

Gamelver wrote:A handheld Wii would be ideal for the virtual console playback. A stand would be used when Wii games are meant to be played :) (pull out wii controllers integrated with the gamecube boards would be awesome :D).
Haha, I had a picture in my mind of someone holding a pWii, rotating their hands for the built-in wiimote.
pWii, hahaha.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:23 pm

If you're going to call it that you might as well call its docking station or carry bag a PlayHouse. :P