PSOne fried?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
PSOne fried?

Post by Sparkfist » Sat May 08, 2004 5:52 am

Ok I really didnt know hat I was doing at the time, but could I have shorted out my PSOne by touching the underside of the power supply board? I was shock as I was stupid enough not to unplug it. Now all I get is the green light turning on, no video or audio. So do I have to go out and buy a new system or can I fix it?

Thank you for any help.

stereth

Post by stereth » Sun May 09, 2004 3:28 pm

You were shock as in surprised or as in zapped? There shouldn't be enough power running at any part of that board to shock you. The resistance of a finger is a couple thousand ohms; in the right spot, that could cause problems, but they shouldn't be fatal to either party. Search online for the symptoms of blowing a PSOne fuse. Go over the board with a multimeter and see if power is where it should be.

Or did you shock the board? That could cause problems. Carpet? Dry day? If nothing else works, you may have fried a chip.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun May 09, 2004 4:55 pm

No I stupidly was fumbing with the power board well it was pluged in. I touched the underside back by the power cord and well having a tingling and something like stinging sensation made me pull back.

Now the fuse looks fine I even switch the fuse/power supply board/CD-Rom from another PSOne I have. Still all I got was green light on and nothing on the screen, not even a black screen.

I will try using a multi-meter as soon as I find on. But besides that would it be better for me to just go to gamestop and buy a new(really used) PSOne for $20-30?

Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

stereth

Post by stereth » Tue May 11, 2004 12:19 am

The PSOne doesn't have a power board. Are you talking about the Playstation 1?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue May 11, 2004 7:10 am

Yeah its the Playstation, I call it the PSOne as its the first (I dont really care about it being technical with the name).
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

stereth

Post by stereth » Wed May 12, 2004 3:13 pm

Be careful about the names when you're asking about the insides, especially the power section.

Search google for the symptoms of a busted fuse. It still sounds like that's the problem. There are something like six fuses on the Playstation board.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue May 18, 2004 6:29 am

Ok I looked up the subject on google. I may have to repace a/few capsitors. Does anyone know where I can get that same type or how I can find out the specs on then so I could replace them with standard capasitors

Thanks.

I am a geek.