Solar Panel PsOne

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

chronorevolver
Solar Panel PsOne

Post by chronorevolver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 am

Hey guys, my first post on the benheck forums!

I am building a Solar Panel Canopy mainly to be used at the beach and I am unsure of the power requirements of the PsOne with and without its respective screen. The panel is planned to run at 25 volts @ 1.2 amps, but it may seem like it will not be enough. I read the power adapter and it stated 7.5 volts @ 2amps for just the PsOne. Would it still operate? I am pretty sure that the PsOne and the screen will run if I change the solar panel to 12.5 volts @ 2.4 amps, but some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Solar Panel PsOne

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:02 am

The 2 amps NEVER gets hit. The adaptor just provides this much amperage so it does not get hot, and is over the limit. I guess it is a safety thing.

The PSone mainboard, has a regulation that can take up to 12 volts. So 7.5 volts to 12 volts is OK.

If you do the LED mod, you will reduce the power consumption CONSIDERABLY.

If the solar panel gives out 25 volts, you will need a protection circuit. It will go above 25 volts, and below. Depending on how much light is available. So it will need a circuit to fix this and protect the PSone. Even so, 25 volts is to much, so it will need to be regulated down to 7.5 (or up to 12 volts).

Have fun modding the PSone!

chronorevolver

Post by chronorevolver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 am

Either way, even if I dropped the solar panel to only 12v, it'd be much safer to just get a voltage regulator? Thanks!

I did extra research and i think http://www.newark.com/solid-state/1n297 ... dp/10P4412 will work. It's a Zener diode 10W 13V to protect the psOne.

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by c_mon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 pm

chronorevolver wrote:Either way, even if I dropped the solar panel to only 12v, it'd be much safer to just get a voltage regulator? Thanks!

I did extra research and i think http://www.newark.com/solid-state/1n297 ... dp/10P4412 will work. It's a Zener diode 10W 13V to protect the psOne.
Never forget that, a voltage more than 8v will fry the PSOne screen. Good luck..
I TAKE COMMISSIONS FOR CNC-ROUTED CASES AND PORTABLES... JUST P.M. ME!