N64 Portable: Codename "June"

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

limpport
N64 Portable: Codename "June"

Post by limpport » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 pm

I'll just leave these here:

I have work tomorrow, but hopefully I can make some case progress on Thursday. I need to remake the frames for the plastic on my vac-former first, and then reform the front.

Also, is there a way to get c-sync out of the N64 by itself, or would I have to get it from the composite line?
Last edited by limpport on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: New N64p attempt

Post by marshallh » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 pm

You can run luma to the PSone c-sync input.

limpport

Re: New N64p attempt

Post by limpport » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Hmm, tried that before, but this time it actually works! Thanks! It looks really good now.

Edit: I've been trying to hook it up the c-sync/luma from the N64 directly to the PSone screen motherboard. I'm following Erlex's diagram, where spot O is supposed to be where c-sync can come in. I'm not having luck getting that spot to work, but I can get it to work when I hook up the N64's c-sync/luma to pin 3 on the large connector. Anyone know where the real spot is on the PSone screen mobo?

Edit #2: Found it. I marked it in purple:
Picture 19.png
Picture 19.png (234.16KiB)Viewed 7258 times

limpport

Re: N64 Portable: Codename "June"

Post by limpport » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Shameless bump, I wanted to show what my final design is intended to be (with the magic of Adobe Illustrator!) :
Picture 20.png
Picture 20.png (34.4KiB)Viewed 7228 times
Also changed the name of the project. I'm about to go fix my vacuum table, so hopefully I can have a case update tonight!

Edit: Got my vac former fixed. The case-making, however, didn't go so well. The plastic on the corners folded together, and folded over. If I don't make new ones, I'll have to use some ABS cement and bondo to make the case actually look nice. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Nice work on the illustration. Good planning is always a great start.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Very nice work. Looking forward to this one.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Dood, people always end up with the AB button angle flipped the wrong way

It's weird.

FIX IT!

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:34 pm

snowpenguin wrote:Dood, people always end up with the AB button angle flipped the wrong way

It's weird.

FIX IT!
It was intentional. I prefer the side-to-side thumb movement rather than the forward-backward movement. It's less fatiguing on the thumb. I think the only reason Nintendo made the buttons as such was to line up with the C-buttons (and thus not make the controller an inch wider). They changed it on the Gamecube controller.

Speaking of controllers, I've attached a Gamecube stick into a Retrobit N64 controller as part of Project June. Works flawlessly.

And one more thing, on the subject of controllers, check these out:
Image credit to StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer has these Tomee brand controllers for sale on his site, and they are great controllers. But do you know what the most amazing part is? It may not look like it, but they feature a metal analog stick! No plastic Nintendo/Retrobit plastic junk! It even has a center click. I've rigged mine up to be like a start button.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Wow. I've seen those before, but I never knew that about them. Good find.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree with the A/B button comment. In landscape portables, flipping it is a must.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

nachoz12341

Post by nachoz12341 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:51 pm

i have one of those tomee controllers they are really good

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

No plastic Nintendo/Retrobit plastic junk! It even has a center click. I've rigged mine up to be like a start button.
Don't do that. You will most likely end up pausing it on accident every 3 seconds and hate yourself for it.... I'm not sure I would map the center click at all if I were you... Just a suggestion though, it's your portable, do what you want.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I'd suggest the L button, for LoZ

limpport

Post by limpport » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Pkmnjunky7 wrote:
No plastic Nintendo/Retrobit plastic junk! It even has a center click. I've rigged mine up to be like a start button.
Don't do that. You will most likely end up pausing it on accident every 3 seconds and hate yourself for it.... I'm not sure I would map the center click at all if I were you... Just a suggestion though, it's your portable, do what you want.
I've played with it for 16+ hours without clicking it accidentally. It's probably just the way I play, though. I don't think I'll be using it on this portable, however. I've got a Retrobit with a Gamecube stick ready to go.

Also, no real progress to report. I've been working my butt off the past week (plus 4th July festivities), so I haven't had the time.

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 pm

So I think the motherboard is a dehydrated slice of carbon derived from a slice of baked wheat product. I connected some pins accidentally while trying to do the RCP cartridge relocation. I got the pins apart before I tested it, but I think the prolonged exposure to the heat is what killed it.

I made my own soldering tip though! I went to the hardware store looking for a thin brass rod. They didn't have that, but they had some solid brass coat-hook things (an L shape with a 1/4" screw on the end) for 65 cents apiece. In about 15 minutes with my dremel, I had an ultra-fine point soldering tip, on the ultra-cheap! If anyone else is going to try this, make sure you are getting SOLID brass. A majority of "brass" things are just coated. I'll post pics when I get a chance tomorrow.

So, anyone want to donate to the "Limpport is in major college debt and needs a new N64" fund? :P