Portable N64 (First project)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Tim
Portable N64 (First project)

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:46 pm

I've never done anything like this, I'm just starting to source the parts and this will be updated as I go along :D

From what I can gather I need:

A case- I'm thinking a frankencase made from an external hard drive case or an old latop, perhaps.
The N64 and controller
The screen-Waiting on delivery.
Batteries-Waiting on delivery
A 100 microfarad capacitor
One of these babies: http://gb.mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta ... MyzezWU%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The N64 controller, obviously.
2.2 kohm resistor
Heatsinks

Craft knifes, Dremel, wire cutters, wire stripper, soldering iron, hot glue gunSandpaper
Blocks, plastic sticks, plastic sheets etc
Spray paint
Bondo, knifing putty, ABS cement and various other bits and pieces.
Various guages of wire
Is there anything I've missed?

I'm a noob at modding anything electrical. I have some experience with working with plastic from those old resitant materials lessons at school-2 years and a few hundred pints ago- so I know the basics.

My idea with the controller is to remove the buttons and just wire them back to the original placement (does that make sense?). I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with the triggers yet.

That's all for now.

I have the DVD player on the way (got that for 99p on eBay :mrgreen: ), a screen of which the auction ends tomorrow, I have my soldering iron, I just ordered my capacitor and resistor, I found some wire cutters (Good ones in my guitar case), and I'm gonna get some cheap wire strippers in the 'morrow.

That's all for now.

So far:
DVD player-99p
Screen-£23
Various tools and wires (in my cupboard)-£50
----------------------------------------------
£74 as of 20/08

I can't afford much until the end of the month and I have stuff for my navy application which take piority anyway. :|
Last edited by Tim on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kylechu

Re: Portable N64 (First project)

Post by kylechu » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Cool.

From what I've heard, n64s die a lot, so be really careful, or get multiple ones.
Also, the psone screens usually go for about 50 bucks, so I'd expect to pay that amount.
My idea with the controller is to remove the buttons and just wire them back to the original placement (does that make sense?).
I think this makes sense, but kind of not. Could you make a diagram of your idea? That might help us to help you.
\

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Don't waste your money buying the PTH08000, get a free sample at TI.

Hope this works out for you!

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:58 am

kylechu wrote:
From what I've heard, n64s die a lot, so be really careful, or get multiple ones.
Yeah, I'm going to get one bulk buy with controllers and games then look for single consoles for about £5 on eBay
Also, the psone screens usually go for about 50 bucks, so I'd expect to pay that amount.
I got one for £23 which is about $47
I think this makes sense, but kind of not. Could you make a diagram of your idea? That might help us to help you.
I'll try to knock one up, but I'm terrible. What I want to do is take the buttons off the board, hack the controller case into sections and then integrate them into the case-a little like how hallraizers darth 64 was done. From that, I'll wire the buttons back to where they were placed on the board...I think.
snowpenguin wrote:Don't waste your money buying the PTH08000, get a free sample at TI.

Hope this works out for you!
Do they give free samples to the UK? I'd imagine I have to pay postage anyway, right?
My grandad was anelectrical engineer so he might have loads of fun bits scattered aroun his house.

Thanks for the help. :mrgreen:

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 am

Change of plan. My dremel tool came in a metal case. So I'm just going to use that :mrgreen:

I don't think I'll be able to get a controller built into this case which is probably an easier way for my this attempt.

EDIT: May just use a ZN45 case xD