worklog: ZN-64!!!(put on hold due to lack of money)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

metalcookie
worklog: ZN-64!!!(put on hold due to lack of money)

Post by metalcookie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 pm

edit:
the name has been changed to the ZN-64
decided to make ithandheld without a flipscreen

fried components: none :D

this is my first portable, and it's going pretty well. it's going to be rather large for a portable, but nonetheless it will be portable and you will be able to play it on the go. it's going to be the size of a small laptop, with a 7 in. flipscreen.

invested so far:
n64 - 20$
defective nexxtech portable dvd player - 10$
ti pth08000 - free :D
some resistors - $2.61(100 pcs.)
spent so far - $32.61

production has been dreadfully slow - but it's going the right way. i was a little disappointed when i got the dvd player and ripped its guts out - the motherboard was rather large, but other than that the screen works great, it has a high resolution, and a switch for the a/v input, so the dvd circuit doesn't interfere. i have a plan for the casing, but no material to build it with. i'll keep the screen and dvd motherboard together on the portable and i'll have the n64 board on the bottom, along with a fan for cooling. i am having some problems, though, and any tips would be helpful
first off, where can i get the right capacitor for the ti part, and what kind is it?
and any tips on relocating the cartridge slot would be very helpful. i'll update this every time something new happens
Last edited by metalcookie on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Citizen Kane

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: introducing the new (wip) n64 flipscreen portable!!!

Post by eurddrue » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Good luck! (stick it out to the end and finish it) :mrgreen:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:05 pm

***update***
i've taken apart the controller and i need help putting tact switches on it. i really don't want to cut the board and solder it back together again with wires. a diagram would be very helpful in putting on tact switches
Citizen Kane

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 pm

good lord! It's in the sticky! READ THE STICKY! It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about portablizing the nintendo sixty four.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 pm

***new update***
i've got a battery and have got it wired to the dvd player circuit, and it is running great. it's just a very small update, but i want to have this all documented. i am kind of new to console modding, but i'm doing good so far. i've also replaced the red led with a yellow one - it's going to be replaced with a blue one, i thought the yellow would look better, but it didn't so i'm switching it to blue.

i'm new to forums, as well, so i'll try my best to explain everything - big updates will include pics
Citizen Kane

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, good luck! (g'nite ;) )
wallydawg wrote:

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:02 pm

- new update -
my resistors for the power regulator came in today.
also, i still need a 100uf electrolytic capacitor(does the voltage matter?)
i found some on an old dvd player mobo, but they were labeled leager, or something like that. they looked like regular electrolytic capacitors, but fitted more securely on the mobo. i'm 14 and very smart. i can catch on to things really quick, and i know a lot about electronics. i am relatively new to working with motherboards, though. bacteria's site has helped me a lot, though and i am learning wuickly, but i have one question -
what in the hell is a leager?
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:41 pm

sorry, i mean leaguer
Citizen Kane

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 pm

What is a leaguer?
it looks like it is a 1. A siege.
2. The camp especially of a besieging army.

are you sure you don't mean lager? like beer? or league?
wallydawg wrote:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm about 90% sure that's just a brand.

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:10 pm

***update***
i've got the resistors and the capacitor together for the pth08000. the only problem is with the pth08000 - i haven't got it yet!!!!

while i await the delivery of my part i'm currently wiring the n64's video and audio to the mobo of the screen.
:mrgreen:

also, i'm going to make this project a permanent WIP, so over time it gets better and better. eventually i plan to buy a PSone screen and shrink the size of the portable by about half.

the next project i'm going to do after this - i'm going to buy one of those small portable nes's, take it apart, and fit it inside of a nes cartridge, but not as a portable. i don't know if this has already been done, but i'm going to try it
Citizen Kane

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:24 pm

metalcookie wrote:the next project i'm going to do after this - i'm going to buy one of those small portable nes's, take it apart, and fit it inside of a nes cartridge, but not as a portable. i don't know if this has already been done, but i'm going to try it
It's been done. I think there's one in the News section. *goes to look*

EDIT: Sorry. Not in the News. It's on Geekologie.

Go for it anyway, though. It'd be a nice compact deal.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

metalcookie

***update***(with pics!!!)

Post by metalcookie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 pm

well, today i desoldered the a/v input jack and soldered the n64's audio and video to the dvd board. there's stil much i need to do.

it looks like crap, but that's because i'm a total noob!!! i put electrical wire around the other wires so that when i'm soldering, my iron doesn't actually touch one of the wires.
there's paper on the back of the board to insulat it. oops, i should of put paper on the screen only. it looks very unprofessional. like i said i'm a total noob. tomorrow i'm going to shorten the speaker wires, and remove all of the electrical tape. the biggest mistake i've made so far is not putting the wires through the hinges the screen will pivot on. i''l just have to cut through the hinges. i'm also changing the battery. the one i have now was designed for a much smaller dvd player(one about the size of the n64 board) and the battery can't seem to hold a charge for a long time.
here's a picture of the screen
it's a big screen. any tips on insulating it from the mobo would be great.
by the way, i'm terrible at soldering, and i'm proud to say i did a decent job in soldering the wires to the little pins on the video/audio output on the n64 board. :mrgreen:
i still need to relocate the cart slot, though :shock:
oh, and i used hot glue on all of my solder points to prevent them from moving
Citizen Kane

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY

Post by DJ711 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 pm

check the stickies.
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

metalcookie

i've run into a bit of a problem

Post by metalcookie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:25 pm

***update***
i've run into a bit of a snag. today i was going to relocate the cart slot, but i was low on wires and decided to used phone line cable. bad idea. i made the wires too short, and they were extremely stiff. i also made sure the wires would not move much so i put a bunch of hot glue on it. another noobish mistake. well, i decided to take it all apart and clean it all out. i wasn't able to get all of the hot glue off, and the pins are a bit bent. the whole thing is a mess. i really messed up. my question is, if i desolder the expansion slot, can i use it for the cart slot? please i need help.
Citizen Kane