Replacement Nomad Screen?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sosage
Replacement Nomad Screen?

Post by sosage » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:07 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed to death. I was pointed towards this site recently. I searched the forums and didn't notice an answer to this question.

I picked up a Nomad with a broken screen:

I want to save the poor thing, except perhaps put a new better performing screen inside of it, rather than mod it. After reading up on some stuff here, I know I need an Analog RGB compatible, 3.5 inch screen that does 320x240. Can anyone recommend a replacement screen for this? Is there an affordable source out there for small new screens that doesn't require hacking something else apart?

I'd rather fix (upgrade?!?) the screen than just trashing this unit and buying another Nomad. =P

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 pm

Just so you know, the nomad screen isn't really 320x240, it's a tad higher, and that's why the pixels aren't perfect; they are scaled.

They don't really sell compatible screens for that any more, sorry. Do what I'm doing though; rip it apart, connect a controller, hook it up to a TV, and instant sega!

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:32 am

basically, you would find a screen that would fit that has RGBS (it doesn't output sync on green as far as I know)or composite inputs, rip out the old screen, and use the av out pinout in the info thread to hook up your new screen.

or, you can find a nomad where the hardware doesn't work, but the screen is good, and toss that screen in, but it seems like a bit more work to me.

I would image in the hard part would be making a screen with it's own board fit inside the nomad case with the nomad. But the bright side is you would be you could put av in on your nomad, or watch tv depending on what you got your screen from.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:01 am

<a href="http://www.aeicomp.com">AEI Components</a> makes standalone LCD modules that are pretty compact, though expensive. If you can, get one with an LED backlight so you can get more time out of a set of batteries. Their website says it needs 12 volts, but the <a href="http://www.benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_p ... 1.htm">NES Micro page</a> says it starts having problems around 5 volts. (Though that is the 2.5" screen, not the 3".)

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:00 pm

if nothing else you could just nix the screen and maybe try to rig some A/V outs and have yourself a Radica with a cartridge slot, lol.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:14 am

rig some A/V outs and just put a completely different (and better) screen in there :)

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:11 pm

Don't you dare use composite; it looks like trash.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:44 am

doesn't make much of a difference if your TV only has RF inputs though...

I guess that just happens when your TV is older than you are...

but yeah, if you are putting a new monitor, try to avoid composite...

sosage

Post by sosage » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks for the information guys! I definitely want to try a new screen that will fit inside the unit as opposed to something external. I already have a Genesis set up at home and I really wanted to kind of "refurbish" the unit (with a newer/better screen of course ;P). Now I have some starting points for the project. =)

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Revived! would a Game Gear screen suffice as a replacement?

HazmatB

Post by HazmatB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:52 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:Revived! would a Game Gear screen suffice as a replacement?
Don't do that, let the post die. Next time just post a new thread with your question.

A Game Gear screen would probably work, but it is 160 x 144 resolution, which would be a pretty big step down.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 pm

I dont like retreading old group, especially when a few months down the road, someone else will ask the same question and get the same answers.

sam_thornley

Post by sam_thornley » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:17 pm

A game gear screen would'nt work because it uses its own digital interface. The nomad screen uses analog RGB signals. Why not Just build a portable out of its guts? The main board is nice and small. Wish we had nomads here in the uk, as i've had to use a full megadrive 2 board in my 3rd sega portable that i'm working on.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:20 am

maybe you could go on ebay and buy a broken nomad with different problems and use the screen from that. of course, then you would have another nomad you would want to fix :?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:26 pm

The screens are soldered, with hundreds of tiny pins coming off of a plastic ribbon cable - getting one screen from another would be more difficult than finding a GameBoy Light in your toilet reproducing with a Sega Gamegear.