I so frustrated, I think I will retire .

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

jeffslot
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by jeffslot » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:16 pm

I'd read (here i think) that the snesp is easier than the atari, That is why I tried it. I really tried to keep it pretty simple. I though that by using a fairly large tackle box, I could skip some steps like, not re-wiring the capaciters, leaving the a/v jack in place, and not creating my own controller. But as it turned out, It was still too hard.

So once again I beg - Please some expert portable maker. For your soldering efforts, I can provide payment of:

a psone screen (apparently not led-modded)
atari 4 x 4 (with new vid mod)
2 3mm led (unused)
several tact-switches

for someone willing to finish my snesp (I'll provide all of my components & pay for shipping both ways).

Anyone? Anyone?

Please

:cry:

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:40 pm

sorry i can't finish it for you, but i have some advice to make it easier: you don't have to rewire the caps or anything like that if you use a frankencase. just solder wires to the pins on the mobo and connect them to whatever they need to be connected to. then just split the controller (SNES controller should be easy, just relocate the D-pad) and keep the case so you don't need too much modding and connect the battery connector and use shoe-goo to glue everything together and it's done :D . i know you're thinking of giving up, but if you just use the original case (modded a bit with dremel) you don't need to do much hard stuff, just take your time with it and go one step at a time, maybe practise soldering using your own techniques if the soldering guides all over the internet don't work and it'll be done easy
ImageImage

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:54 pm

I really would finish yours if I had much experience with the SNESp, but I'm still working on my first one. I wouldn't want to say that I could and then mess yours up. I'm not going to tell you to just keep at it, as I know some people have limited budgets and it sure can become a costly habit and time consuming as well. However, I'm going to agree with all the others and say that things you make yourself are much more rewarding to use than things that others make for you. The choice is up to you whatever you want to do. I don't want to be pressuring you into doing something you really aren't enjoying doing, as that's not a project that you want to be spending money and time on. Speech over, but just remember that we value you here on these forums, and even if you decide to give up portablizing, we'd love to have you here every once and awhile.
Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken
Check out my shameless abuse of free blogging here

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:45 pm

Please guys, I want out. I've been working on these projects for months now & am completely fed up. The last thing I want to do right now is try again.

Obvioulsy if feels better if I had completed it own my own, but I don't think that is going to be happening now. So I'd like to do the next best thing. My ultimate goal with this right now is to be able to actually use a sneps, not have a non-working snesp.

I'm a little suprised no one wants to a psone screen, 4x4 atari square, 2 3mm white led's, a questionably functional casio ev-680 (ask turbo_tax_1.0 for details on that one).

Thanks Jeff S

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:13 pm

I had the same problem and guess what I broke 2 psone screens I don't like to break stuff but in the end I will have somthing I know I put time effort and money into and that I had the satafaction of building it. :D never give in to this portable you have got to win.

LethalMeatball

Post by LethalMeatball » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:06 am

Jeffslot, i know (from reading your posts) you are as far to the edge of the cliff as you can go. I am there too, but I stated what was wrong, and got about 2 million responses to what might be wrong, and I am slowly working thru them 1 at a time, and I think im right on the edge of completion, I would take up your offer of doing it for you, but I am a novice, and havent completed a system of my own. I know what you mean when you say u want a SNESp, I want to play Uniracers during my classes of my senior year, and make everyone jealous. I hope you try atleast one more fix, and if you get more depressed from it, then solicit your project, and maybe I will have mine done by then, so I can actually say I have finished one.

Hope you keep it together.

-LethalMeatball

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:49 am

Ok,

I really do appreciate the sentiment, that one shouldn't quit without finishing. Thanks for all of your support guys. I would feel a little bad, but I think I'll be able to live with it. I had the night to sleep on it & calm down a little. However, I can honestly say that I can live with never picking up a soldering iron again (especially a hot one by the tip - ouch).

So here is by last best offer to someone out there that is willing to assist a former unsuccessfull "portableizer":

I would love to trade:

1 4x4 atari square (with new vid mod )
2 white 3mm led's
1 questionable casio ev-680
2 psOne screens for use in a project.....

For some one with some skills to finish my snesp project. Thanks

Thanks again for all of your support.

Jeff S.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:08 am

Sorry to break the mood, but please if your going to do an trade or sell make a thread in the "Trading Post" and link it to here.

Anyways good luck on finishing the portable.
Last edited by Sparkfist on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:24 am

oh sparkfist, you can be so cruel :P

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:23 am

How exactly do you want the SNESP done (cart slot rewire? landscape, or portrait orientation? which screen? what batteries?)? I did one SNESP but it died for no reason. I would give it a go on yours but I'm afraid I would screw up.

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:54 am

Like I mentioned before I want it kept as simple as possible. I've already got a tackle box, that everything fits into. Portrait is fine. I think it will be ok to keep the controller in tact, I'm using a 2000mah ni-cd (I know that's all that Radio Shack had).
The cart slot is just fine where it is. I'm using a psone screen.

I think that the way I'm describing (I can probably better describe it with some pictures & PM) should be the simplest way to put it all together. If you've already done one I would guess you'd have not too many problems. Are you interested (PM me)? Thanks.

Jeff S

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:52 am

Dude...i'm working on screen number 4 now for my snesp...I spent well over 500 on everything and I definitely wanna finish this thing. Take a little break for now...don't quit.

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:10 am

Well I did complete one but it stopped working for no reason. I'm a little cautious to take another dive into SNES mobo's, but I think I could make this one work. Is this how you want your SNESP?
I think it could easily be done and since I now have bondo/sanding experience I guess I could make you a pretty nice case. As far as keeping the controller intact I think I can velcro it to the front (you want to be able to remove it, correct?), and leave a hole so you can remove it from the case. My question is do you plan on having shoulder buttons on the case? If so I don't know of a way to keep the controller intact and put the shoulder buttons elsewhere on the case. Lastly, is your battery an RC car battery, because I don't have any male RC battery connectors.

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:18 pm

Let me send you some pictues tonigh, when I have some more time.

Jeff S.

Motoman

Post by Motoman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:55 pm

like everyone said already. Dont give up and keep trying. No offense but i think i'v been through worse. 1 fried 3 inch casio 1 fried PSone screen, 1 atari, 1 PSone, 3 n64's, 1 Snes and finally a hip gear. And look, I'm still at it. (note: I'm a kid and i dont really have too much money, But i gathered over the years) So, keep trying, and good luck if you do[/quote]

"Living After Midnight"