worklog: ZN-64!!!(put on hold due to lack of money)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

jjhammerstein
Re: introducing the new (wip) n64 flipscreen portable!!!

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 pm

The expansion doesn't actually have any pins in it.
The pins are on the board, and plastic part just slides over them.
I'm sure you could buy a cart connector from someone.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:04 pm

***update***
well, i tried relocating the car slot, and failed badly. the board still works, but the cart slot is a mess. i'm going to bu a new n64, and use that motherboard, instead because i was noobish and used a little too much hot glue. the one i have now i'm going to use as a test board. the project hasn't been stalled, though because i still have a lot i need to do with the dvd mobo, and the n64 controller. if i can get the cart slot working again on the board i have now, then i won't order a new n64, but most likely i will. ps: if anybody has a n64 cart slot then i'd like to buy it, but the only spare money i have right now is
$5
i will post updates, but most likely they will be about either the controller or the screen
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 pm

-update-
i am having the most horrible time trying to relocate the cart slot

tried with cat 6 -failed
tried with cat 4 - failed.

well, third time's the charm, and boy it is!

i found this old 5o ft. phone line, which, infact, is just a giant ribbon!(i don't know what the two other wires are for)

here's what the cart slot looks so far

i'm not a terrific solderer, but i can get the job sone. the wires are strong and extremely flexible. it's only half way done
Citizen Kane

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm assuming that's stranded wire, and it's been a female of the dog species to work with for me. Set your multimeter to the speaker setting and test with your multimeter touch one end of the wire to the other and see if it beeps. If it does, test the next one and so on. after you've done all 25 connections on the board, make sure that none of the little tiny stranded wires are touching any of the other pins, then pour hot glue over it to prevent shorts.

If your multimeter doesn't beep, then check for continuality. and if you get no reading, then you should resolder that joint, because it could be a cold solder joint.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Tin your contacts, then twist then tin your wires. Then press them together w/ the iron. Keep the exposed parts of the wire small when soldering to the mobo, and the same goes for the slot.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:19 pm

i already tested everything with a multimeter. i can't afford to fry a n64 right now so i'm taking every precaution when relocating the cart slot. :mrgreen:
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:41 pm

thx for the tip, shockplayer. i do have a problem of putting too much solder on, consequently connecting the pins beside it, and i need to use desoldering braid to remove, which also removes the solder from the other pins beside it, setting me back even more. when i failed twice i was pretty discouraged, especially after being reminded of all my other failed projects, but after desoldereing everything on the pins and sanding down my solder point i feel like i can complete my portable n64. i'm not just going to quit like a lot of people have, or so i've heard. i'm going to stick it out to the bitter end, rich in the rewards.

by rewards i mean by rubbing it in my dad's face
:lol:
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:09 pm

:D -update :D

i finally relocated the cart slot - successfully!!!!!

YAY

actually, when i did this with PROPER WIRES, it was easy, but dreadfully boring. it was also fairly difficult, because when i soldered the front of the cart slot, i was planning on putting the cart slot on the mobo so the wires wouldn't be in the way of soldering, but that didn't happen, so i had to solder the back of the cart slot on the bottom of the mobo, which was hard because there isn't any solder on the bottom of the board.

bottom line is, i screwed up in soldering the front of the board, so i soldered the back of the cart slot to the bottom of the mobo.

i was so happy when i saw perfect dark on my little 7 in. screen.

the project has taken a giant leap forward. after i get the controller and power set up, i will draw up some plans for the case
Citizen Kane

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:15 pm

HOORAY FOR YOU!!! :D Maybe I'll try your method of relocating. And what kind of floor is that? It looks like a really dirty carpet. Don't run a bare n64 on a carpet, for fear of frying.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:33 pm

lol yah, by carpet is a mess. my soldering iron was still very hot and so was my glue gun at my desk, and the only power supply i had was near the ground. i know running a n64 on carpet is a noob thing that results in a fried board, but i think a hot soldering iron could easily destroy the board with just 10 seconds of contact with a major component.

although i was being a noob, and never put paper down to insulate the board.

it still works, though.

:D

i'm just glad i did it. this was the most feared part of my project. one pin or wire mix - matched and it's all over.
i'm just amazed that i did thid with a large soldering iron. it was not pencil tipped, so every time i soldered a wire i had to work QUICK and take the soldering iron off of the board, or the sorrounding wires became desoldered, and that happened a lot. i need new soldering iron tips, but right now i've sanded the tip i have now in a more suitable shape.

thanks for all of the tips, you guys.
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:09 pm

-update-

i decided to connect the battery to the whole thing with the ti pth08000. i had everything working properly. so i turned on everything, and from the n64 board, i heard two loud pops. i turned everything off and repeatedly tuned on the n64, but nothing happened. i was scared to death, so just to see if the board was fried, i put the original power supply on, and...

it works.

lol i found out the popping came from the speakers. the battery was way too weak and couldn't hold the power draw.

oh well. i guess i need a new battery
well, everything still works, and the cartridge slot is working perfectly. i think the next portable i do i will use the same wires and the same technique, by which i mean soldering the front of the cart slot to the top portion of the board and soldering the back of the cart slot to the bottom of the board.

when i properly relocated the cart slot it was actually easy, just repetitive. i highly recommend relocating the cartridge slot on anybody's portable console. for one, it means a slimmer and more portable, well, portable :lol:
second, doing this boosts your confidence in your self, and the last thing you need in making a portable is discouragement
as i search for a battery, i think i'll order my tact switches. btw, what diameter do you recommend -6 mm or 12mm tact switches?
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:12 pm

-update-
i've rewired most of my project with the telephone wire i found.
using that cat 4 cable on everything was a big mistake. the wires almost always broke off, and they were stiff and if bent the way you wanted it to be bent, it wouldn't cooperate.
the biggest rewiring was the power regulator. i've wired that thing up 2 times, each time trying to make it smaller, but with the telephone wire i was able to reduce the size by half. maybe even more, but i don't have a pic of it before it was rewired.

with this new wire i have much more versatility with my project. this wire is sort of braided, and the solder gets absorbed into it, so soldering its much easier.

tomorrow i'm going to radioshack to get some more desoldering braid and a pc board(some call it a bread board, i don't know what it's called) so i can start designing the controller.
i feel like i have a better grip on this than when i started. i no longer feel so much like a noob at this.
Citizen Kane

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Just curious but what kind of heatsinking is on your n64?

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:51 pm

at the moment
none

i'm really scarce on money right now, but before i build a case i will make a cooling system, much like bacteria's cooling system on his n64 board from that multi-platform system. i'm going to buy heatsinks like bacteria's, cut them into smaller squares, and put them on the n64 motherboard. from there i will plan and build the casing carefully to make sure there is proper airflow.

like i said, i am really scarce on money, and i can't afford a fried board, so i'm taking every precaution to ensure i don't fry the board.
oh and i didn't make the mistake of wiring the power regulator and then putting it on the board immediatly. i checked it with a multimeter to make sure i was getting 3.3 volts. it was 3.264 volts, which is pretty close to 3.3 volts
any tips on cooling are greatly appreciated
Citizen Kane

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:54 pm

metalcookie wrote:at the moment
none

i'm really scarce on money right now, but before i build a case i will make a cooling system, much like bacteria's cooling system on his n64 board from that multi-platform system. i'm going to buy heatsinks like bacteria's, cut them into smaller squares, and put them on the n64 motherboard. from there i will plan and build the casing carefully to make sure there is proper airflow.

like i said, i am really scarce on money, and i can't afford a fried board, so i'm taking every precaution to ensure i don't fry the board.
oh and i didn't make the mistake of wiring the power regulator and then putting it on the board immediatly. i checked it with a multimeter to make sure i was getting 3.3 volts. it was 3.264 volts, which is pretty close to 3.3 volts
any tips on cooling are greatly appreciated
:D hooray! your officially better than making portables that I am!!! :D
wallydawg wrote: