Possibly fried n64? read first judge later

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

superpapa
Possibly fried n64? read first judge later

Post by superpapa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:22 pm

On my voyage of building an n64 portable, the first step was opening the things... Nervous as I am, after i unscrewed those dang heatsinks, thinking that it was gonna work for sure, but you know... why not? Thanks to my idiocy, i put in the jumper pack backwards.... the tv flickered, and then nothing... i looked to the red led in desperation, and it was off :(

So i thought, maybe it's asleep.... after a week and a half of camp... it was still dead... no power. I have not modded the thing *at all* and it still dies for me... (a precursor for what's to come) I have not yet tested it with a multimeter yet.... but does a backwards jumper pack kill the thing? <--- that's basically the question without a life story. I figured most of the steps in the troubleshooting sticky don't apply, because i have not done anything yet...

I hope it's simple and you guys act like :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

edit: I noticed something shaking in the power supply, so i opened it and the pins that lead into the n64... there is a ribbon cable looking thing that leads to the pins that looks cut or something... it's hard to explain without pictures.... but i doubt anything is wrong with it... how does your n64 power supplies look?

kibble

Re: Possibly fried n64? read first judge later

Post by kibble » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 pm

superpapa wrote:how does your n64 power supplies look?
Mine (and I think most of them) has a ribbon that goes from the main power supply to a small board that contains the power connector that mates with the one on the N64 mobo. I'm pretty sure it's done to allow some flexibility between the power supply and the console to prevent movement from breaking either the power supply connector or the one on the mobo.

As for your other issue, I would test it with the multimeter and see if you've got the proper voltages where they're supposed to be. The jumper pack backwards would just short the power supply most likely and *may* not have permanently damaged anything but, I can't tell you for sure. Did you unplug the power supply from the wall after that happened?
Last edited by kibble on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

banditpaw1
Portablizer

Post by banditpaw1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Put it in full reset.
1.unplug everything from n64(the jumper/expasion pak)
2.set down n64
3.turn on n64 for 10 seconds
4.plug everthing back in.
5. try he n64 again
6.it works or its fried
7. tears of joy or sorrow.

superpapa

Post by superpapa » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Wow... I tested the power supply with a multimeter, and it wasn't outputting anything... so i think the n64 isn't the problem (maybe both if i'm unlucky.) I tested the input voltage and it read like 200 or something... fine... I tested it again later, and it read 0.00 :( then.... the thing exploded in my face!!!!

I don't want to hook up a battery to test... because as my science teacher says... "Only one variable at a time, else the results are meaningless" I'm gonna borrow my friend's n64 power and test

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Do you have a computer psu lying around? you can probably use that to power your 64.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 am

superpapa wrote:I tested the input voltage and it read like 200 or something
Sorry but does this mean that you were testing the mains AC side of the powerpack because my reccomendation here would be not to play with that stuff. If your powerpack has exploded it is probably dead. Check the output and if it isn't outputting anything then try leaving it for a week and checking again. If it doesn't work then it is probably dead.

In the meantime try another pack with your N64 that is working with another N64. If when you plug it into your N64 it turns on then that means that the other power supply just tripped for a bit as is their wont. If the new confirmed working power brick doesn't work and then doesn't work with your friends N64 after you return it don't panic about having to buy your friend a replacement power pack because it will work again in a couple of days. Instead panic about the fact that your N64 is tripping these power packs. Look for any obvious solder bridges or little flecks that could be bridging traces. If you can't find any and your 64 will not run off an untrippable power supply (battery, other type of power pack) then it is dead barring you magically fixing the problem in your investigations.

Good Luck,

Evilteddy