collinE's N64p W.I.P.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

collinE
Re: collinE's N64p W.I.P.

Post by collinE » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:17 pm

The screen works fine off batteries now. so does the N64.

I'm just left scratching my head as to why it won't work while hooked up the the batteries' charging circuit. I've checked and rechecked (and rechecked) the wiring and it should be working, but it doesn't. If plugged into the wall, the screen stays dark, but the speakers squeal like a transistor radio. When I unplug it, nothing turns on.

So what I think I'm going to do is just order some charging circuits from battery space for both sets of batteries and wire it up with those. Batteries are obviously fine.

The downside is that my case is complete and has a little hole for the charging light. I can stick the LED in there anyway and have it non-functioning or I can spend another few days closing the hole up and repainting.

and hailrazer would probably slap me for asking, but if I have a 7.5v charger already, do I really need to buy one of batteryspace's smart chargers?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:17 am

collinE wrote:The screen works fine off batteries now. so does the N64.

I'm just left scratching my head as to why it won't work while hooked up the the batteries' charging circuit. I've checked and rechecked (and rechecked) the wiring and it should be working, but it doesn't. If plugged into the wall, the screen stays dark, but the speakers squeal like a transistor radio. When I unplug it, nothing turns on.

So what I think I'm going to do is just order some charging circuits from battery space for both sets of batteries and wire it up with those. Batteries are obviously fine.

The downside is that my case is complete and has a little hole for the charging light. I can stick the LED in there anyway and have it non-functioning or I can spend another few days closing the hole up and repainting.

and hailrazer would probably slap me for asking, but if I have a 7.5v charger already, do I really need to buy one of batteryspace's smart chargers?
Ya, li-pos always need a smart charger because otherwise, well... you'll fry it, etc.
They are insanely annoying for these sorts of things
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:37 am

The charger you already have should work. If the protection circuits are half decent they will cut off the charging.

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah the only thing about my smart charger I like is the LED indicates when the batteries are full (and cuts off charging of course).

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:49 pm

this is going to be the solution to my useless LED hole problem. Because the LED is red and green in one. I'm going to use the first and second light of this fuel gauge so that it'll display green until it gets to the last light and then turn red... wait no that won't work.

well, I'll use it somehow.

Ridonkulous

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:45 pm

well, here it goes.

I've got the batteries hooked up to the protection circuit from battery space and I'm going to go through a few charging cycles to test out if the 7.5v zenith a/c adapter will work as a charger without exploding. I guess I've heard too much back and forth about the necessity of one to justify buying it. Money is extremely tight right now and I don't want to wait for it to become available.

update: something doesn't work. I think I may make a video soon. I charged it for a couple hours then I tried to power my N64 and the light went on for a 5 seconds and then dimmed. I'd like to think my N64 works because the light goes on and stays on, but that it's not getting enough power.

with how simple making these portables are supposed to be, ie solder this wire from here to here, it's not going well. Maybe I'll hook the adapters back up to see if I can run a game on my 64 and then if I can run it on the screen, then see if maybe I've made a serious mistake about power.

Ridonkulous

omgitsthebishop

Post by omgitsthebishop » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:35 pm

any progress?

collinE

Post by collinE » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:06 am

NO!

HIATUS!

Ridonkulous