external video, mulitple players

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

JDP
external video, mulitple players

Post by JDP » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Hey all, soon (hopefully by end of next week) i will have Ben's book and begin work on my PSp.

couple questions that i have though (if they are covered in the book please just tell me so and mods can lock it)

1) can you wire it so you have the 5" PSone screen on it and also have a jack so you can hook it up to a normal tv? If so, how??

2) can you wire it to have two controller ports? The reason i ask is even though there are going to be controls on the PSp itself, if i want to play with another person it would be impossible for him to see the screen while i was holding it.

so can you wire it so there are a) 2 external controller ports and b) so i can switch between the controls on the PSp itself and an external controller?

if so how?

thanks all,

JDP

(If this is all covered in the book, please just say so and lock this thread)

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Actually that's not covered in the book, but both are very easy to do.

For AV out, just attach a jack to the same spot the PSOne screen is attached. If you want to be able to turn off the screen while it's playing on a tv, add a switch between ground and the screen.

For external controller jacks, just wire them up to the board where they normally go. Add a switch for the player one controls between ground and the controller so you can switch from onboard controls to an external one.

Or, here's an idea - have one switch for ground for both the screen and the player one jack so you can have an "AV out" mode and it will turn both off at the same time. That makes it behave just like a normal unmodded psone!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

JDP

Post by JDP » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm

hmm cool, seems easy enough..

how hard is it to fry a PSone while building? Just wondering because i want to have it done by end of october and with school i really only have time to build one so i want to make sure i dont mess one up??

also i'm gettin an amazin deal from my cousin- 2 controllers, mem card, system, and a ton of games...

for 20 bucks..

which brings up another question- how to incorporate the memory card into the PSp??

JDP

Post by JDP » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 pm

bump because i need to know soon- does it have to be a PS1 mini?? because i dont think the one i'm buying is a mini

Zereo_XI

Post by Zereo_XI » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:55 pm

1-As long as you don't exceed the nessesary Voltage for and know how to solder you should be fine.
2-You can simply let the Mem Card slot stick out or wire it directly to the mem card without passing by the mem slot and have it integrated.
My portable thread:
Not stating any project again until I have a job.

JDP

Post by JDP » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:56 pm

ok cool, but what about it not being a mini- if its not will it work ok??

Zereo_XI

Post by Zereo_XI » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:58 pm

yes, you're PSp will simply be a bit bigger.
My portable thread:
Not stating any project again until I have a job.

JDP

Post by JDP » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 pm

ok coool, thanks..

when the time comes to build it, i'm sure i might need more help with the wiring of an AV jack and the controller ports,

so expect a question regarding that within the next few weeks or so

does his book cover how to hook it up to an external power source- wall outlet as well??