Game port extending

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Link89
Game port extending

Post by Link89 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:32 pm

I was wondering for anyone who's extended the N64 game port how they did it. I soldered all the wires on to the port's pins and was wondering if I can just put the wires in the holes where they go and hot glue them in. Also what do you use the port on the bottom for. I might just take it off because I've never seem anyone use it before.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:02 pm

The port on the bottem of the N64 was for the N64DD (disk drive) but Nintendo only released it in Japan. So dont worry about it, you can removie it no problem.

As for direcly connection the controller to the board yeah you can just solder the wires into the holes and hot glue them down. If you where making extentions to move the controller prots then just solder wires to the port's leads.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:07 pm

Yeah, remove the exp. port, and instead of puting the cartridge port wires back in the holes, solder them to the contacts above and bellow the holes, or put them through the holes and then solder to the contacts.
Hot glue will make sure that nothing shorts and that wires don't come off.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:06 pm

I cant seem to get that bottom port desolder. I got all the solder off the pins and it won't come out. :evil:

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:12 pm

What I did is this.
Pull off the metal, then pull off the plastic. You should be left with all the exposed pins of the exp. port. I then just bent them until they fell off. I never actually desoldered it.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:46 pm

I when the hard way (not the best) I just pride the thing as I melted the solder around the pins, ofcourse the damn thing came loose in less then 2 minutes once my dad got me a tool to suck up the solder.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:53 pm

I have a desoldering iron too. I tryed using that and it wouldn't come out. I did it like Gannon did. Also I just extended the port where you put the memory card in. I think it will work it was a huge pain to solder wires to each pin. Putting them back in the controller and putting solder on was so easy. :D

Link89

Post by Link89 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:10 pm

I got to tired of trying to extend the port by soldering the wires so I did it the moose jr. way and I turned it on and no smoke but the screen was fuzzy. He said the say thing happened on his site but it's not there anymore so I don't know how to fix this problem. Could you guys help me with this.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:39 pm

I found the problem with the connection. The stupid couplers they sent me aren't long enough. Don't buy from skycraft the soldering iron I sent me wouldn't even keep solder on it. But anyways I need to get some copper pins where do you guys order yours?