NES LED Mod

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Spartan93
Steam ID:urmomgz2cllg
NES LED Mod

Post by Spartan93 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Hey guys,

I'm really hoping to be able to LED mod my NES. I'm not planning to put in a clear panel on this or anything, I just want to install some green LEDs so the light will come out of the controller ports.

Stuff I think I know:
The lights need to be 5V.
I cant put too many on, but as long as I only put a couple it should not be a problem.

Stuff I need help on:
-I heard you could hook these in to the same place the power light is. Is that possible? If so, how the heck do you go about "just attaching" these LEDs?
- Does it matter what kind of wire I attach them with?
- Anywhere I can buy these 5V LEDs online?

Thanks guys.... what I really need is a tutorial and searched constantly during a 14 hour car ride for somewhere that could teach me how. Turns out there isn't one :(

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated!

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: NES LED Mod

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:08 am

It's pretty simple, which is probably why there is no tutorial lol.

LEDs are easy enough to find (pretty much all small ones run on 5v lol), Digi-key has tons of stuff, so you could check there. Or, you could just google green LEDs.

As for wiring, just hook up the new LEDs in parallel to the power LED that's already in it (they'll only light up when hooked in a certain way)...just make sure to put the right current limiting resistors in series with the new LEDs so you don't burn them out.

As for wire, it really doesn't matter. It's pretty low voltage/current so anything is good.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato