NES controller question

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

CursedPerfectionist
NES controller question

Post by CursedPerfectionist » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi folks,

I've been observing a few different forums and have been studying for about 2 years now, and i have finally decided to start my first NES portable. But i have encountered a problem, I want to be able to play my portable on the tv but i dont want to have to use the built in controller on my system to play as first player, can i put a port on my portable that over-rides the built in controller when a seperate controller is plugged in? I think i may have seen this on an n64 portable a while back but i'm not sure. Thanks

TSX420J

Re: NES controller question

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 pm

CursedPerfectionist wrote:Hi folks,

I've been observing a few different forums and have been studying for about 2 years now, and i have finally decided to start my first NES portable. But i have encountered a problem, I want to be able to play my portable on the tv but i dont want to have to use the built in controller on my system to play as first player, can i put a port on my portable that over-rides the built in controller when a seperate controller is plugged in? I think i may have seen this on an n64 portable a while back but i'm not sure. Thanks
You can add a port, but it will work parallel to the one on the portable. This will give you what you want, but it will not override the input. Example: If you had the portable connected to the TV and you plugged in a controller into the player 1 port; someone could grab the portable and control your character because both will be receiving a signal from the 1st player port at the same time. Unless you figure out a way to interrupt the signal once a controller is plugged in. Not sure if it is safe to do it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

CursedPerfectionist

Re: NES controller question

Post by CursedPerfectionist » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the input but i already solved it, i'm just gonna put in a port but put a switch between the power for the port and the power for the internal controller, if that makes sense. I'm gonna make it so only one or the other will turn on. I'm pretty sure that should solve my problem.