Help needed removing expansion slot

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Reubensupernerd
Help needed removing expansion slot

Post by Reubensupernerd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am

I have desoldered (with braid, and later with an iron) all of the pins. The connector wiggles, but just as it gets close to coming off, it doesn't move anymore. I have tried using a screw driver to pry it off but I cant do it anymore with out breaking other components on the board. Does anyone have advice for removing this stubborn connector?

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Help needed removing expansion slot

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am

Sounds like you might not have gotten all the solder. Just head up your soldering iron. Once it's nice and toasty, wiggle the slot around and see which pins move, and which ones don't. Warm up the ones that done and slowly wiggle it out. At least, that's what I do in that situation. There might be a better method out there lol.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure to try that. I'm sure it at least works better than the add solder-->apply desoldering braid-->wait for cheap iron to heat braid-->soak up solder-->remove braid-->realize you missed the back of the pin-->repeat method.

doug104231

Post by doug104231 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 pm

to be honest pry the connectors sheilding carefully with a small screwdriver then grab the unshielded connector with pliers and rock back and forth once loos pull it up and it will leave all the pins behind then just desolder each pin its much simpler and its not like your gonna sue the expansion port for anything right?

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I didn't find removing the expansion port to be that difficult at all. It's got those plastic tabs on each side and you can just cut those down some and just pry it off like doug said. I did remove the expansion slot after re-wiring the cart slot though, so maybe it just didn't seem as bad as that, kind of like a broken finger isn't as bad as comparing to getting your whole hand chopped off.

Removing the RF Box however seems to be the worst of it all now, at least for me.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:46 pm

@wallydawg, I had the hardest time removing the rf box, but I came up with an easier way to do it. Get some fairly thin solder and melt that onto the solder joints, then use desoldering braid to remove what you can. After that try to melt the thin solder onto the stubborn parts around the pin, eventually they'll come off.