Virtual Boy controler to NES

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Allen
Virtual Boy controler to NES

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm trying to make a Virtual Boy *VB* controler work with a NES. I got the pin layout for both and had the VB controler working but for the "A" and "B" are on the Right side D-pad. Left on the D-pad to run "B" and Down to jump "A".

I have so far just took apart a NES controler and put the ends from it into the the VB controler plug that normally pushes in to the VB. I can't take apart my VB controler as it is the only one I got and it is to my working VB, but will soon have a VB controler I can take apart. :D Can I get the "A" and "B" in the right spot by changing how I plug into the pens or do I need to do somthing more?

Layout. VB to NES.

I just put NES controler GND to the VB controler GND, NES controler 5V to the VB controler 5V etc.

Allen

Re: Virtual Boy controler to NES

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:38 pm

With out any help I have the "B" and "A" working. :D

Blue is exposed copper I could solder to. Black and Red are wires that I soldered to the board. Yellow is were wires are already soldered that I added more wires to.

Status of controler.
"A" and "B" now work in the right spot. Left tigger now is a "B" button as well. Right tigger now is a "A" button as well.

The Right side D-pad.
Left on the D-pad is "B" still and Down is "A" still as well. Up and Right on the Right side D-pad do not work with the NES.

Next.
I want to cut up a PS2 plastic circuit board and use part of it to make the Right side D-pad work just like the left. If any one knows if this can be done let me know.

3GenGames
360 GamerTag:I AaronB123 I

Post by 3GenGames » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 pm

I will check soon but I assume that it reads off the same data from the serial chip inside the controller, so once you hook up the right pins of each connector, it should work fine if that is true. I will edit this later with the right info, I know for SNES that kept the readout and "protocol" the same for that reason, so it would lead me to think the buttons are mapped the same.

-gets back to this later-

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 pm

3GenGames wrote:I will check soon but I assume that it reads off the same data from the serial chip inside the controller, so once you hook up the right pins of each connector, it should work fine if that is true. I will edit this later with the right info, I know for SNES that kept the readout and "protocol" the same for that reason, so it would lead me to think the buttons are mapped the same.

-gets back to this later-
I put same pin to same pin but the B and A were on the Right D Pad. I just wired around it is in the pic above.

3GenGames

Post by 3GenGames » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 am

Hmmm okay. Then I guess the readout is different! :P Yeah thats seems the most logical to get it to work.

Allen

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 pm

It works. All but finished Kirby's Adventure with it.

3GenGames

Post by 3GenGames » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Good news! And maybe you should test it with a game of Crystalis. That'll put it through it's paces....and your patients, in a good way. ;)

Allen

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 pm

I'd have to get my game genie out for Crystalis again.

3GenGames

Post by 3GenGames » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 am

Hahaha, why? :P

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:37 am

3GenGames wrote:Hahaha, why? :P
Because braking the controller and TV at the same time is NOT good.

It did not help the game genie that still had the pull on it did not want to work in my Metroid NES and I hate to use a game genie in my NES 2 top loader as it is so farking hard to get it out and can brake it.

I ended up swaping my one good game genie *had the pull on it* for a later 1990-1991 and now it works. Damm lock out chip. I'm hopping on ebay and geting me the adapter for game genie to work on a NES 2.

Metroid NES

3GenGames

Post by 3GenGames » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 am

Haha thats not one from CustomNES guy is it? Not to be mean, it just doesn't shine like his :D

And if you go into the NES, locate the NES Lockout chip, and just snip pin 4, it'll disable your lockout and make your life 100% easier. :)

edit:

Check out his systems and custom games. Epic.

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:54 pm

No. 100% mine and first time painter! I wasn't going for a high gloss look. If you put it side by side with a unpainted NES, the gloss is about the same. This is why I tried to get a VB controller to work on a NES but since I couldn't get it to work 100% I just painted a normal controller.

My pics farking suck....

Dose CustomNES know that you can pell out the controller insert with a razor blade and glue it back in after you paint it?

3GenGames

Post by 3GenGames » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Hmmm, I am not sure, but that is interesting! I might try that on my own crappy controller just to do it. How'd you find out? :P

The only thing I know is he is also a auto repair guy or something, and uses the equipment to print images and such on it and get the glossy finish, since it needs expensive equipment to do it. :P I wish I had enough creativity and drive to do something like this. The only thing I do is replace the LED to green since it's smexy. lol! But yeah it's awesome to customize your own NES.

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 pm

"How'd you find out?"

Dog chewed on one a long time ago and when he did I saw that it was just a thin plastic incert with printing on the back.

3GenGames

Post by 3GenGames » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Haha, no way! Thats awesome. Not so much for the controller though :'(