Nes or clone system whats more reliable

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Wicker_2009
Nes or clone system whats more reliable

Post by Wicker_2009 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 am

Well i was wandering is it worth spending Money on a clone system such as retro duo 2.0 for long term use or should i buy nes and snes systems. Money is no issue which hardware is better clones or the original.

Just curios cause the clone hardware is newer and i thought it may be up to date but i may be wrong on it being better so help me.

argelfraster

Re: Nes or clone system whats more reliable

Post by argelfraster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:58 am

The original systems would be better if you aren't modding them in any way.
They will probably last longer, and they don't have a cart slot that holds on to the game with a "death - grip"

moviefan2k4

Re: Nes or clone system whats more reliable

Post by moviefan2k4 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Last Christmas, I bought my mother a Retro Duo, because she is a huge Tetris fan. Unfortunately, the system is far less than reliable. So far, I've encountered the following problems:

1) The "down" arrow on the directional pad doesn't always respond properly
2) The picture appears darker than it should (at least on the two TVs I've plugged it into)
3) The NES slot is very tight, and the contacts inside it are seated slightly to the left (so carts have to be placed in there "just right" to work)
4) The unit itself (at least the one I bought) will switch from a color display to a grayscale one without warning. the only solution I've found is to turn it off for a few minutes, and try again.

based on these issues, I strongly doubt i will ever purchase a Retro Duo ever again. If you're interested in refurbished original systems, I'd recommend The Nintendo Repair Shop. Their prices are a little steep, but I bought an N64 from them for $40 plus shipping, and it works like a charm. They also sell NES, SNES, Genesis, and Gamecube systems and accessories, for various prices.