Using a Game Genie with a toploader NES

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

jperryss
Using a Game Genie with a toploader NES

Post by jperryss » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:50 pm

As most of you probably know, the GG for the NES did not fit in the toploader (the board is too thick and does not fit in the toploader's cart slot). Galoob did make an adapter to work with the toploader but it was available by request-only and therefore is super-rare (and expensive).

Has anyone been able to mod the GG to fit comfortably in the toploader? I've read of people using a 60-72 pin converter with a 72-60 pin converter, which I imagine would probably work, but I don't have either and was hoping for something cleaner.

I have the GG apart and unfortunately the business-end (which plugs into the NES slot) is obviously part of the board and not removable. Of course, the female side could be unsoldered and used on it's own, but that'd be useless.

Thanks!

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:25 pm

You could just remove the top plastic of the toploader, I think I've seen a few people do that. Also, you could file down the slot of the toploader until the GG fits.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 pm

The best way I can think of is to enlarge the cart slot. However, that has disadvantages.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:30 pm

I shove mine in. Quite hard to get out, but it works.

Another option is to buy a new connector for the toploader that's a tiny bit wider; sacreligious, but hey... so would be modding a console.

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:10 am

I'm pretty sure the GG doesn't fit because of the thickness of the board itself (it has a thicker board than a typical NES cart). It seems to fit through the lid of the console with no issues. Having never seen one of the Galoob adapters in person, I'm not totally sure.

I could probably force it in there, but I can't imagine that wouldn't cause damage over time. And I don't think the toploader cart slot is replaceable, I've never seen replacements for sale.

I guess I was hoping there'd be some way to adapt the GG adapter to a standard NES board (obviously there would be a cart sacrifice involved) but it doesn't sound like that's possible.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 am

You can find replacement connectors. This is one such place to buy one.

One option however is to remake the GG PCB using a PCB manufacturer, and a thinner PCB. Transplant everything over. Another is basically the same- salvage a connector or buy one, and have a PCB done up or make one somehow using etching to the thickness you need.

The adapter itself looked like a one inch tall block of gray plastic with a cartridge connector on top. I've never been able to see one myself sadly, but I would assume it just passes the signal through from one side to the other (because come on... what else could it do?).[/url]

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: Using a Game Genie with a toploader NES

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Galoob did release an adapter that could be ordered free of charge to add compatibility with the new (at the time) top loader, but not too many people actually ordered it. Try looking on ebay for a while until one turns up.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

themadhacker

Re: Using a Game Genie with a toploader NES

Post by themadhacker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 am

please do not bump old threads. It is very aggrivating.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/