Atari 2600 Jr. PAL Portable (Argh2600) [lots of pictures]

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Kyo
Atari 2600 Jr. PAL Portable (Argh2600) [lots of pictures]

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Ladies, Gentlemen... portable enthusiasts!

It is true, you have heard me. I am making an Atari Jr. 2600 (PAL) portable

Why?
-I had a board available
-I'm using a PSOne screen anyway, so it can be a little bigger without contributing to additional size
but most of all,
-Challenge

As far as I'm concerned, this hasn't been done, much less with a PAL model. I've been working on these two:

pretty much all weekend. Why?
because I can. Also, it's a christmas present for my father (for which he is conveniently paying)

I've encountered lots of problems during my journey, but more on that later.

The first step:

the first step was actually trying to get composite out of the damn thing. I found a guide for getting s-video. But it needed tons of parts I didn't have, so I took the points and made something based on bens composite mod (which would not quite work in it's pure form for me)

Now, after I had composite displaying on the screen, I could start hacking up the board. Though not as small as the original one, it can be made smaller.

First step:

I removed the RF box and some crap over it (controller port, difficulty switch, RF out)
It's still working beautifully, without any modifications. Excellent.

As a next step, I removed the stuff on the left, I don't have a picture of it, so here's the area I removed next marked:

Not working. Obviously. I removed the 7805. After rewiring that, I find myself in front of an atari board which is still refusing to work. There were a total of 6 connections from that part of the board to the other, so I soldered wires over from one to another to replicate the board being intact again.

What I do next is snip one wire after another, till it stops working. A total of 2 wires were left in the end to have it working again. Next step: removing components from the board until it stops working. Found the necessary component. It's some... black thing (a fuse?), well anyway, bridging it works just fine, so I connect the two spots on the "good" side of the board with each other, and it's working again. Next step, removing the top crap. Everything over the cartridge, basically. I accidentally broke off some of the "good" part of the board. 3 connections coming out of the cartridge port. After finding out where they go on an intact atari board, soldering wires there, it's still not working. Same procedure. Reconnecting everything, snipping off components. I'm left with one resistor. Bridging that doesn't work, so I'll have to relocate it. I also have to connect a couple of spots on the back with each other. And: Bingo! It's working again!

Did I mention that since I removed the left part of the board, and the color tint potentiometer, my picture is black and white? This was probably the most bothersome part to get to work. After finding out where the spot that isn't ground or +unregulated goes, the problem still isn't gone. Turns out I need to rewire a little capacitor from previously mentioned spot to ground as well, contrary to on the original atari.

it's the green thing.

The composite circuit is probably the thing I soldered apart and together the most, and it shows:

I'll probably redo that, or maybe not.

Anyway, it's working:

my wiring on the back:

On an unrelated note, how do I always manage to post these walls of text in my build logs? Does anybody actually read all that?
Last edited by Kyo on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:44 pm

The piece that still sticks out on the right, that's only like, 10 connections, right?

Are you going to move it?
It'd be cool if all you had was a screen, with the controls basically right in the bezel.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:54 pm

8 connections. On the bottom anyway. I thought about it, I might do it, but I don't think I will have to. Hold on, I'll take a picture to demonstrate why

As you can see, it's all pretty damn small, and I'll need most of the extra width for controls anyway. I'll probably relocate the cart slot. If there's more room than need to have comfortable controls, I will relocate, otherwise I won't. I'm working on the controls right now, btw.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Are you going to trim the lcd mobo?

Also, you should see if you can make a mini atari stick out of a normal GC C-stick instead of using a D-pad.

So much cooler.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:16 pm

mhm... I do have a GC-Stick... Ben did that with a PSOne stick in his book, didn't he? I could see how he did it...

Maybe I should just do both...

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Kyo wrote:mhm... I do have a GC-Stick... Ben did that with a PSOne stick in his book, didn't he? I could see how he did it...

Maybe I should just do both...
You have to get the straight-stick look, it's totally necessary.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 am

besides the cartridge slot, there are 3 components and a switch next to it. None of these are needed, I have just found out.

What this means is that if I relocate the cartridge slot, I can also make the board MUCH thinner. Now, if I relocate that little piece on the right, that would mean that the system could be hidden behind the screen entirely. That probably won't be very useful to me. but it gives me more room for... stuff.

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Ooooo, nice. I think if you want to get a nice stick you should definitely go with a Neo Geo Pocket stick, which is probably the #1 coolest handheld joystick ever.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:10 am

I was also considering buying a PSP stick... But this is due to christmas, and I don't have that much money

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:43 am

Kyo wrote:I was also considering buying a PSP stick... But this is due to christmas, and I don't have that much money
I thought PSP sticks were of notorious quality when use with anything but PSPs.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:43 am

Kyo wrote:I was also considering buying a PSP stick... But this is due to christmas, and I don't have that much money
I thought PSP sticks were of notorious quality when use with anything but PSPs.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:03 am

I don't know about that, I've never used one.

Anyway, I spoke to my father and the gamecube stick it is!

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:18 am

Kyo wrote:I don't know about that, I've never used one.

Anyway, I spoke to my father and the gamecube stick it is!
C stick, or normal one?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:46 am

Normal, probably. The C-stick has the advantage of being smaller, but has the disadvantage of being uglier. I don't have any paint available either...

But it's from a 3rd party controller anyway (unless I can get a good deal on a busted 1st party controller)

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Kyo wrote:Normal, probably. The C-stick has the advantage of being smaller, but has the disadvantage of being uglier. I don't have any paint available either...

But it's from a 3rd party controller anyway (unless I can get a good deal on a busted 1st party controller)
I'm not sure how the C stick would take the paint anyway, it has a pretty weird rubbery surface.
It would look great in dark gray though.