BW / Color Switch

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

ATARIFAN
BW / Color Switch

Post by ATARIFAN » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:47 am

Hi,
I was wondering how to hook up a Black & White/color switch to a modified "4 by 4" atari 2600 board. I know the system automaticaly defults to color without the switch, but i want the switch for authenticity. I do not know which video mod will work with this, Ben's old mod or his newer one, but i am hoping both work. I found the old pin on the atari chip that was used to connect to the switch before i cut the board, but now i want to know if it will still work. If you have any sugestions, or have expirence with this yourself, please write below.

Thank you for your time!!

ATARIFAN

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: BW / Color Switch

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:45 am

the B/W switch is all software. All it does is tell the game what color palette to use. So yes it works no matter what video mod you use.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

ATARIFAN

Post by ATARIFAN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Thank you so much Rekarp for your input. I was also wondering how to wire and hook up the black and white/color switch for use in the portable. If you could give me any tips please write below.
Thank you.
ATARIFAN

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:58 pm

I am usually not a big fan of telling exactly how to do something as you would never learn how to mod.

Here is the schematic for the Atari 2600

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/s ... A_Low.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The B/W switch just connects to Pin 21 off the RIOT chip. Ground the pin to enable B/W mode. Floating pin for color
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:51 am

Here is a sledgehammer. Use it to crack nuts.

The easier way to figure out something like this (especially when there's no schematics at hand) is to just take a multimeter and see what happens when you flip the switch.

ATARIFAN

Post by ATARIFAN » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank you Rekarp and Kyo for the info. I may have to get a multimeter after all. Thanks for all of the help. I will be showing my project when it is completed.
Thank you.
ATARIFAN

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Definitely get one, it's a pretty essential tool, and inexpensive.