VampireS Worklog

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Mcdoodle
VampireS Worklog

Post by Mcdoodle » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Im started my going-to-be awesome noac portable called VampireS. It means Vampire System because Castlevania is my favorite game. :)
So far, I just desolder the A/V board off of the RES mobo. Hoping to wire the battery up tomorrow.

Parts List:
Case - AG-85
Battery - 7.2v 2000mAh Ni-Cd
System - RES
Screen - PSone Screen

And I had some questions. For the battery, how do you solder two wires onto it and red means positive and black means negative, right? When soldering the battery to the mobo, does the positive goes to the 5VDC and negative goes to ground?
I was looking at the pinout for the PSone screen and found out the screen takes 7.5v. Can I get away with 7.2v?
And how do I attach a nes controller on to the controller board. Im using the controller board because i want to have two players.

Sorry for asking a lot of question, new at this stuff. :wtf:
My Portables
None yet :|
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: VampireS Worklog

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Um..you kinda need the AV power board, as that's where the video amplifier is. That is, unless of course you're building your own video amp, in which case you can just throw that into the fire.

As for your questions:
When soldering the battery to the mobo, does the positive goes to the 5VDC and negative goes to ground?
From what you're asking, it appears that you're hooking the battery straight into the RES-- that is something you don't want to do (too much power). You want to hook the batteries into the power input on the PS1 screen, and go from the +5v out on that to power the RES.
As for the wiring, +5 from the ps1 to the 5v in on the board, and the negative is the ground.
I was looking at the pinout for the PSone screen and found out the screen takes 7.5v. Can I get away with 7.2v?
Yes, when LED modded, the screen can run on as little as 7v, maybe less (I'm not 100% on that, but I do know it will run on 7.2)
And how do I attach a nes controller on to the controller board. Im using the controller board because i want to have two players.
Trace the pins from the controller ports to the mobo. You don't need the controller plug board as you can just wire straight from the board to the plug/s for player1/2--which'll save you alotta space.
Just get a multimeter and poke away. Trust me, it's quite easy :)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Mcdoodle

Post by Mcdoodle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:
When soldering the battery to the mobo, does the positive goes to the 5VDC and negative goes to ground?
From what you're asking, it appears that you're hooking the battery straight into the RES-- that is something you don't want to do (too much power). You want to hook the batteries into the power input on the PS1 screen, and go from the +5v out on that to power the RES.
As for the wiring, +5 from the ps1 to the 5v in on the board, and the negative is the ground.
Whoops, forgot to mention that I have a 7805 regulator. So I would wire the battery to the 7805 then wire to the RES and screen?

For the video amp, how would you make one? Would it be the same as this one?
My Portables
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Mcdoodle wrote: Whoops, forgot to mention that I have a 7805 regulator. So I would wire the battery to the 7805 then wire to the RES and screen?

For the video amp, how would you make one? Would it be the same as this one?
Hook the battery directly to the Psone screen. Then you can either use the 7805 on the screen to power the RES or you can wire the 7805 to the battery to power the RES.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Mcdoodle

Post by Mcdoodle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Got my Psone screen and leds to mod it. Actually, i got my screen awhile ago. :roll:
Do you really need the video amp for the RES?
And Im going to work on this over this week since i have off of school on thursday to monday. :)
My Portables
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Unfortunatly, yes, you do need the video amp. I've tried to make it work without it before, and all my efforts failed.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato