New Power Joy, Or garbage? I FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

kylechu
New Power Joy, Or garbage? I FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM?

Post by kylechu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, picked this up at goodwill for 5 bucks. I'm wondering if it's an noac. One big problem. It wont turn on. The power light doesen't turn on. Well, heres some pics. Info appreciated.

Embedded little pics for you poor, poor dial uppers. Heres a link to my flickr page which has the bigger pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylechu/

Now, THE INSIDE! WOOOOO!!!

Look, with a name like that, could it be anything but an NOAC? :D
Last edited by kylechu on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
\

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm

That certainly appears to be a NOAC with a famicom slot. If you get it working, you should be able to buy an adapter to use NES carts on it.

BTW, if I'm interpreting the Flickr rules correctly, you need to link the Flickr page, not the image directly. People can get larger pics from there.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 pm

okay, fixed it. Wouldn't want them to ban me.
\

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:15 pm

Its a NOAC. I got the same one from goodwill for 3 bucks :) and it had a 50 in 1 game cart too.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:17 pm

Did it have games on it, do you have any thoughts why mine isn't working? I wish i had a multicart.
\

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:28 pm

The only games it had were on the cart.

And I really have no idea lol. are you using batteries or a power supply?

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm using batteries. They're new. I've tried 3 sets. Nothing appears broken on the inside. Probably someone fried it at goodwill with the wrong power supply.
Last edited by kylechu on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:18 pm

That's a great find! Just think how easy it would be to do a cartridge-slide-down-the-back design. You could just slap a family converter on there, and you'd practically be done with the wiring! Anybody know where these are coming from?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:01 pm

G-force wrote:That's a great find! Just think how easy it would be to do a cartridge-slide-down-the-back design. You could just slap a family converter on there, and you'd practically be done with the wiring! Anybody know where these are coming from?
The only place I've seen these before is http://www.qvc.com. They used to have a dedicated Plug-N-Play games section, with mostly NOACs, but that url is no longer working. Searching for plug play gets some things to come up, though.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:39 pm

G-force wrote:That's a great find! Just think how easy it would be to do a cartridge-slide-down-the-back design. You could just slap a family converter on there, and you'd practically be done with the wiring! Anybody know where these are coming from?
well, it would help if it worked. :?

Do you think it might possibly be not working because I dont have a cart in it? I mean, it's probably wishful thinking as the power light doesen't even turn on, but wishful thinking never hurts. :P
\

arfink

Post by arfink » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:43 pm

well, get yerself a famicom cart and give it a go. some systems do require the cart to be present to complete the circuit. Also, you should make sure none of the wires are broken and that the voltage regulator isn't fried. I know from experience, those 7805's aren't that hard to fry if you plug in the wrong power supply, but then, they aren't that hard to fix either.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:34 pm

Ummm, any tips on where I can find the cheapest game?
\

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Well, got more pictures. They're the first 6. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylechu/

The one I think shows the problem is this one here

What are those ripped paper looking things? Could that be the problem? It's on the board with the switches and has the buttons glob top. Doesen't have video or audio, or have the power cord going to it. It isn't even connected to the board that does those things directly. Both of those boards go to the little orange board, that goes to video, audio, power, and batterys. None of the other boards look fried, or smell funny (like that one)
^
l
\

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:12 am

I found one of those SJ3 at Goodwill for $4. Mine also didn't work. Now I'm thinking of turning it into a simple Famicom project. Anyone ever done that before?

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 pm

still wondering, did someone melt it or something? Has anyone seen a famiclone by personal experience that won't show any signs of being on without a cart?
\