SJ3 Problems: Please tell me it's not broken (post solder)

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 pm

Uhhh...I would scratch that cart slot off your list. Notice what happened when that was done?
Hey, sup?

Seaniccus

Post by Seaniccus » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:47 am

Kurt_ wrote:Uhhh...I would scratch that cart slot off your list. Notice what happened when that was done?
I don't know what you mean by this.

Are you saying that I probably fried the cart slot I removed from the game genie as well? If you think so i'll take your word for it, but that's just plastic and metal connections, I assume the board fried because a chip or something on it got too hot, i don't see tabs of metal losing their ability to transfer electricity though.

I could be wrong though. So far i've been pretty wrong with this project in general. Unfortnetly, as I said before, I've pretty much scrapped it. If I can find a yobo for cheap I might try agian with it (becasue I don't have to worry about soldering or desoldering the darn connector) but those ussually go for at least $30, and I don't have that much to invest anymore. I figure I should cut my losses and just ebay the intec control pad +screen I got.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:22 am

You can't fry a cart slot. It should be fine. Probably your SJ

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:16 pm

I was talking to THON. He said guns could be used to remove cart slots.

Don't give up. Mooch money off of other people!

Ask all your friends for $2 weekly, and you'll have enough for a yobo real fast! Unless you only have one friend, in which case it would take 15 weeks, which is 4 months.

As for your NOAC, I have the same one, and I looked at it last night. On the bottom of the board there is a glop-top chip 1-2mm away from the cartridge pins. I would be wary soldering near these with a 15W iron. I'm actually thinking I'll do everything else then pull them off. What I'm really thinking is some careful dremel work. I have a good 2-3mm of clearance between the cartridge slot and the board I can stick a cutting bit through.
Last edited by Kurt_ on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, sup?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:19 pm

yeah, I tried that for a portable DVD player. They then started throwing single cents at me, to watch me pick them up. Humiliating, but I got over an euro out of it!

THON

Post by THON » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:52 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I was talking to THON. He said guns could be used to remove cart slots.
Meh. Remember reading something about heating up the SNES solder and it would pop out using a soldering gun. Maybe it's the fever talking.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:38 am

yeah, wrapping it in a towel. I actually tried that. Either I can't work with these things (guns), or they just suck.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:50 am

That was a heat gun. They're two very different things.
Hey, sup?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:20 am

They are?

man, no wonder that didn't work for me, like, AT ALL.

Well, thanks for clearing that up, I guess.

(This is what happens when you look up german translations for english terms)

Seaniccus

Post by Seaniccus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:53 pm

ARRG. My SJ3 is THINKING about working now or something.

Okay, so my screen showed up, so decided to try to test it a little more - So I hooked itup again,m and got the rubber button nub. I hooked it up - grey screen - pressed RESET, and it reset. THis seemed promising, I didn't know if the reset was built in to the chip, or if it was a power thing - but that's not important. When it reset, it had ARTIFACTS, like when a game doesent load quite right, and then froze up.

I don't know what this means. Does the chip sort-of work? I'm totally confused. I finished wiring the connector (I did kind of a sloppy job though) to see what would happen if I sent some actual Data, but I couldn't get any results. (Partially because it doesent take power very well anymore - I have to hold the plug in "just so" to get it to get any power at all.)

If I can't break even by selling my intec (i got a good deal) maybe i'll see if i can get a yobo for cheap on ioffer. (they sell for only 12.00, but then charge another 15 for shipping.)