Computer Questions

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

gandan2
PSN Username:goomba3d
360 GamerTag:JammedOrb885
Steam ID:Gandan573
Computer Questions

Post by gandan2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:40 pm

I'd like to know how long my laptop will "live." I've had it for 3 years, the fan doesn't spin any more, and for most of the time I've had it I've been playing games that have minimum requirements significantly higher than it has. I'd also like to know what PC I should get next, what I can do to make the next one live longer, and some good games.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: Computer Questions

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm

What kind of laptop do you have right now? Make, model, specs.

What games do you play or want to play?

What's your budget as for as a replacement laptop?

Let us know the answers to some of these and we'll help you get the answers to your questions you want.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gandan2
PSN Username:goomba3d
360 GamerTag:JammedOrb885
Steam ID:Gandan573

Post by gandan2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

It's an HP Pavilion Dv5 Notebook PC. Its processor is an AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM 70 2.00 GHz.The ram is 3.00 GHz, and is running 32 bit Vista Home Premium. I'm willing to try almost any game, so just point me to games that are good. I'm willing to pay anything under $1000 for the new one.
[insert message here]

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 am

I personally have one of these. It is a beast, it can run almost any game I throw at is with everything maxed (at the screen's native 1336x768 res). If you are on a budget and need a laptop that will be able to deliver for some time, I would highly recommend it. If not that model, I would check out the other ASUS G series laptops. Mine was refurbished, but it looked brand new, so don't pass them up either.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 am

Since you probably don't want a mini ThinkPad, the Dell Vostro 3400 looks like it would do what you want.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostr ... ostro-3400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Intel Core i5 460M - 2.5 ghz, Nvidia 310M graphics, brand new for around $635. I know it's a Dell, but their business-grade hardware is much nicer than the consumer-oriented crap they sell at Best Buy and other tech grocery stores. (That's a good rule of thumb to go by when shopping for any laptop, come to think of it.) It's also a 14" laptop, as opposed to 16" which in my opinion is gargantuan for something you plan on taking with you everywhere.